J. Brumback vs. J. Parica 2011 D.C.C.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Being the world's champion banker, I'm very tempted to bank, but I know if I miss Jose is likely to play a dirty trick on me. He might be the number one guy most likely to get out if I leave him any kind of shot.

So I am going to move the 2 ball uptable and snug up to the 1 ball, and try hard not to leave the 2-railer on the 13. But I will be pissed if I pass up the bank and then lose this game.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
vapros said:
Being the world's champion banker, I'm very tempted to bank, but I know if I miss Jose is likely to play a dirty trick on me. He might be the number one guy most likely to get out if I leave him any kind of shot.

So I am going to move the 2 ball uptable and snug up to the 1 ball, and try hard not to leave the 2-railer on the 13. But I will be pissed if I pass up the bank and then lose this game.

Yep, that looks good to me.:D
Rod.

SpinDoctor

From
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
vapros said:

I agree completely, I'm freezing him to the 1 here as well.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game 1 and John needs one ball. What would you do?
what about this? The man is a champion banker and knows where the cueball is going and can hit it with some rocket speed. I should have drawn my line a little further down table, as that would be the optimal desire.
john2.jpg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
CR, if I bank it will be at pocket speed. Rocket speed is a crapshoot if you miss, and not nearly safe enough for a guy needing one ball to win.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
vapros said:
CR, if I bank it will be at pocket speed. Rocket speed is a crapshoot if you miss, and not nearly safe enough for a guy needing one ball to win.
vapros i rarely disagree with you but i have to this time
john is used to playing warp speed banks
this is not a difficult straight back imho
bang it in and win the game
jose still needs all the balls
just my 2 cents
what do i know
i agree with calired

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
vapros i rarely disagree with you but i have to this time
john is used to playing warp speed banks
this is not a difficult straight back imho
bang it in and win the game
jose still needs all the balls
just my 2 cents
what do i know
i agree with calired

I'm with Vapros and Rod on this one. Also, just nudging the one will probably "undeaden" it... I really doubt John would go for the straight back, in that spot...In essence, you are taking 3 balls out of play...Whats not to like, needing only one...But, ICBW..;)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i underdstand playing conservative at the end game when ahead, but i dont know how you dont drill the 14 for the win. i am with calired.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
vapros said:

I don't think that they are laying correct to do this. It looks to me that if you take the two ball uptable the cue ball is heading to the three ball (even more so with the measle ball. To insure staying on the correct side of the one you will need to draw slightly, but then the two ball is coming toward the three and one ball because more speed will be needed. To avoid having the two ball come back like that you will need to cut the two ball slightly to the left and use a bit of draw. This will leave your opponent many options.

Playing safe here is much more difficult then it appears.

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
vapros said:
the rocket speed is for him to get the cueball back downtable if he misses. If you bank at pocket speed, you will be leaving him several shots. Also pocket speed not hanging up in the pocket, could result in him being able to steal a ball or two AND bank the ball you tried to make or hang up, over to his pocket. Usually those banks down there that don't get hung up in the pocket, are ducks.

There's definite risks to this shot, for sure.:) I was trying to imagine what John might have done, and to have that juicy bank staring at him in the face, I don't know if he could pass it up.

I remember this match. I saw some of it, but I remember going off and taping some other stuff, and coming back a few hours later and they were still playing. I think it was something like a 3 plus hour match. Dennis... how many DVD's was it?:)

I looked back to see what I was doing. I was taping the Bernie/Ghost/John matchup:)

1st pic is John and Jose about to start at about 12:10 pm
johnjose1.jpg

2nd shot is John drilling the final shot at 3:30 pm and raising his hand, clearly relieved and happy, so about 3:15 mins.

johnjose3l.jpg
John shaking hands with Jose who was not happy.
johnjose2.jpg
John was playing a bank match in about 30 or 40 mins later

SJDinPHX

Suspended
CaliRed said:
the rocket speed is for him to get the cueball back downtable if he misses. If you bank at pocket speed, you will be leaving him several shots. Also pocket speed not hanging up in the pocket, could result in him being able to steal a ball or two AND bank the ball you tried to make or hang up, over to his pocket. Usually those banks down there that don't get hung up in the pocket, are ducks.

There's definite risks to this shot, for sure.:) I was trying to imagine what John might have done, and to have that juicy bank staring at him in the face, I don't know if he could pass it up.

I remember this match. I saw some of it, but I remember going off and taping some other stuff, and coming back a few hours later and they were still playing. I think it was something like a 3 plus hour match. Dennis... how many DVD's was it?:)

I looked back to see what I was doing. I was taping the Bernie/Ghost/John matchup:)

1st pic is John and Jose about to start at about 12:10 pm
View attachment 3275

2nd shot is John drilling the final shot at 3:30 pm and raising his hand, clearly relieved and happy, so about 3:15 mins.

View attachment 3277
John shaking hands with Jose who was not happy.
View attachment 3276
John was playing a bank match in about 30 or 40 mins later

I was, needless to say, happy for John, that he made the ball...but that still does not make it the right shot, with him only needing one ball....One half inch, either way, could have been a real disaster....Guess he thought it was a 'gimmie'...:)....Go for it John..You are still my hero...:D

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:
I was, needless to say, happy for John, that he made the ball...but that still does not make it the right shot, with him only needing one ball....One half inch, either way, could have been a real disaster....Guess he thought it was a 'gimmie'...:)....Go for it John..You are still my hero...:D
I'm pretty sure Dennis has not posted what John shot yet. So far we're just throwing out ideas, although I read Dennis's 1st post again and he said "what would YOU do, not what do we think John did":)

So, in answer to THAT question.. I probably wouldn't shoot the shot I posted, because I don't have the confidence I could do what I posted.:D I would probably do something do disturb that combo that looks wired to his pocket and tie it up.

And the pictures I posted, was him winning the match, whereas Dennis's post was about Game 1. The game winner was him firing in a cut. Oh what the hell... here is the final shot.

(Note to self: Am I hijacking this thread?)
johnlastball.jpg

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
I always remember what Grady says:

If you have a choice between a difficult offensive shot and a difficult safety, take the offensive shot because you might also win.

I would bank the 14 with enough speed to get the cueball below it if I miss.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Dear Yukon Jack Breath,

Put the bottle down and try to pay attention for 12 posts, then you'll see that, as usual, you don't know what you are talking about and are easily distracted:eek: .

My post shows game 1 you imbecile not the game winning shot:rolleyes: .

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:
I think it was something like a 3 plus hour match. Dennis... how many DVD's was it?:)
It was a two DVD match Greg. The first game took the entire first disc, at this point (post #1) they were 1hr. and 19 mins. into the game. Jose had about 9-10 balls near his side pocket for quite a while and they shot many ticky-tack safeties.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
ChrisBanks said:

If you have a choice between a difficult offensive shot and a difficult safety, take the offensive shot because you might also win.

CB,

To get the cueball below what???

Dennis

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
Cowboy Dennis said:
CB,

To get the cueball below what???

Dennis

I would want to get the cueball below all of the other balls, and make sure the 14 goes back up table above the cueball as well.

If you are fairly certain you can do that, the bank is a free shot I think.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
ChrisBanks said:

Grady is correct, but you first must consider the score of the game. With 5 balls left on the table and you only needing one of those balls the score should be the determining factor when choosing a shot.

I agree with Vapros and Rod, play off the 2 ball and go towards the 1 ball with the cue ball.

John probably banked his out ball because he's the best banker in the world and he's still struggling feeling his way through decisions playing one pocket. I'd say if John plays enough one pocket in a year from now, he too will be snuggling against the one ball.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
With the way the balls are laying banking at the stripe if missed could have cost John the game. If you notice the 1 and 3 balls are a makeable combination if you can fall on the rail with the cue ball. There are going to be multiple ways for a player with the skills of Parica to do that f John should miss the bank. I'm not going to go into all the possibilities that Parica may have if John shoots and misses the bank. Your just have to take my word on this one.;)

Billy I.