New Member and New to One Pocket

Michael Reddick

From
Fremont, CA
Hi Everyone,

My name is Michael Reddick and I hang out at California Billiards in Mountain View, CA. I've been playing 8 Ball and 9 Ball for many years, but finally decided to pick up OnePocket about three weeks ago.

The game is appealing to me because of the cerebral nature of it. I'm a pretty straight shooter, but I literally know nothing about OnePocket. I'm looking for any advice on how to best utilize this forum to get myself up to speed as quickly as possible.

What I've done so far:
1. I've got two of Freddy the Beard's books on banks...I'm studying them.
2. I've got Koehler's book on One Pocket...studying it also.
3. I played in my first One Pocket tournament a week ago and ended up with a 2-2 win/loss record. I'M HOOKED!

Any advice on how to ramp up my knowledge and gain experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Welcome Michael.

Lots of good 'what if' diagrams and discussions here if you can learn the WEI Table layout system.

Banks and One Pocket are the featured game here and there are lots of champions doing the chatting.

75% of what is posted here is worth reading just to get to the other 25% of the GOLD.

Again, welcome to OnePocket.ORG.

By the way, if you get a chance, come to Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento July 2nd to play in our Monthly One Pocket event Double Elimination Race to 2 each side and only $20 entry fee.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Michael Reddick said:
Hi Everyone,

My name is Michael Reddick and I hang out at California Billiards in Mountain View, CA. I've been playing 8 Ball and 9 Ball for many years, but finally decided to pick up OnePocket about three weeks ago.

The game is appealing to me because of the cerebral nature of it. I'm a pretty straight shooter, but I literally know nothing about OnePocket. I'm looking for any advice on how to best utilize this forum to get myself up to speed as quickly as possible.

What I've done so far:
3. I played in my first One Pocket tournament a week ago and ended up with a 2-2 win/loss record. I'M HOOKED!

Any advice on how to ramp up my knowledge and gain experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
i think many would agree and suggest you buy some accustat dvds of matches and look at the positions , think about what would you do and listen to the commentators perspective and watch what the pro shot

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
My suggestion would be for you to play as much of it that you can. It's a game that requires a bit of all other games. The more you play it you will find that you will develop an instinct for what to do by utilizing the skills that you feel most comfortable with.
I would also advise that you fit in some time for nine ball or ten ball to keep your ball pocketing skills up to par. Welcome to our forum.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Welcome Michael

Welcome Michael

Onepocket..."All games rolled Into one".
Quote from Shannon Daulton himself
Lots a good stuff just don't get between the two guys.
You'll find out soon enough who they are.
Good luck with your onepocket,and banks.John B.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Hi Michael n BANKSR

Hi Michael n BANKSR

John Brumback said:
Onepocket..."All games rolled Into one".
Quote from Shannon Daulton himself
Lots a good stuff just don't get between the two guys.
You'll find out soon enough who they are.
Good luck with your onepocket,and banks.John B.

For your banking help, just look for John's posts! He's always letting little bits of precious knowledge slip to us. Freddy's always got a few tricks up his sleeve, too.

For 1P, you can go through tons of posts discussing possible moves and shots. Lenny's got some real good current videos, too. I'm still retraining my brain here by going over the scenarios and rereading ways to play them out.

I know I left out a few other resourceful people, but you'll learn quick enough.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Welcome to the site. Have you gotten Billy Incardona's 1p video yet? I found it very helpful for some offsite instruction. Of course, CBC does get many good 1pk players so there's no shortage of competition.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Michael Reddick said:
Hi Everyone,

What I've done so far:

Thanks,

Michael

Yes, and I believe one of your wins was against yours truly. Nice shooting and you killed me with some of your banks.

There will be a time when you start to learn a little more when you will try and move instead of shoot lol, and you will have a little dry spell.

The one pocket learning curve is much shorter now with all the tools available now, including this website.

Welcome and I will pay a little more attention next time I draw you in a tournament.

Michael Reddick

From
Fremont, CA
SactownTom said:
Welcome Michael.

Lots of good 'what if' diagrams and discussions here if you can learn the WEI Table layout system.

Banks and One Pocket are the featured game here and there are lots of champions doing the chatting.

75% of what is posted here is worth reading just to get to the other 25% of the GOLD.

Again, welcome to OnePocket.ORG.

By the way, if you get a chance, come to Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento July 2nd to play in our Monthly One Pocket event Double Elimination Race to 2 each side and only $20 entry fee.

Thanks for the invite. I plan to make a trip to Sacramento in a couple months once I learn a little more about the game. Thanks!

Michael Reddick

From
Fremont, CA
lll said:
i think many would agree and suggest you buy some accustat dvds of matches and look at the positions , think about what would you do and listen to the commentators perspective and watch what the pro shot

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely buy a couple Accustat videos with commentary. I've also arranged with a local OnePocket player to 'talk me through' a few games so that I understand what all options he considered for each shot, instead of just seeing what shot he eventually chose. It's the analysis / thinking / risk assessment part that I'm trying to best understand.

Michael Reddick

From
Fremont, CA
jrhendy said:
Yes, and I believe one of your wins was against yours truly. Nice shooting and you killed me with some of your banks.

There will be a time when you start to learn a little more when you will try and move instead of shoot lol, and you will have a little dry spell.

The one pocket learning curve is much shorter now with all the tools available now, including this website.

Welcome and I will pay a little more attention next time I draw you in a tournament.

I am living proof that there is a such thing as beginners luck! :D Since our match, I've learned the hard way that I can't just shoot my way to a win in OnePocket. Eventually, I miss, and when I do, my opponent will likely run 8 and out. Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate the help! :)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Michael Reddick said:
I am living proof that there is a such thing as beginners luck! :D Since our match, I've learned the hard way that I can't just shoot my way to a win in OnePocket. Eventually, I miss, and when I do, my opponent will likely run 8 and out. Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate the help! :)

What up Michael? You sure have a pool player name. Michael Reddick. Is that your real name? If so you have a built in nickname. Old Red dick. I use to have pretty blue eyes a nice red dick. Now I got red eyes and a blue dick. Naw I'm just kidding. My eyes are green. I was watching V. Williams play a girl named Amanmuradova in the first round @ Wimbledon, and thought I would just bust Your ball a little bit. I was noticing that when they had a close call, the line judges kept ruling for Williams. Amannmuradova kept challenging the calls and she kept being right. What' up with that old bullshit?. I got some accu-stats one pocket you can have if you want.. pm me

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Michael Reddick said:
Hi Everyone,

What I've done so far:

Thanks,

Michael

Welcome Michael,

You have found a gem of a place for an aspiring one pocket player. Sometimes they even talk about one pocket on this site. :)

cheers,

Dudley

(I'm in your neck of the woods if you ever want to play some one pocket)

cabilliardclub

Verified Member
The Chronicles of Reddick!

The Chronicles of Reddick!

Good to see that all the one pocket I support has actualy paid off and sucked in a new player!

Great guy for the game. He is willing to learn and is not affraid to jump in the fire.

My only suggestion to you is to play as much as possible and as many different people as possible. There is no one way to play one pocket, watching and playing different players will teach you the game faster than you can imagine.

Be carefull on who you beat up on in tournaments (John Henderson) they will start asking for a spot.

Don't be affraid to ask for help from guys like Billy P., Raf Martinez, George Michaels and of course John Henderson. Soak up what they have to say like a sponge, they will be happy to help and what better guys to learn from.

Good luck!

Chris

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
cabilliardclub said:
Good to see that all the one pocket I support has actualy paid off and sucked in a new player!

Great guy for the game. He is willing to learn and is not affraid to jump in the fire.

My only suggestion to you is to play as much as possible and as many different people as possible. There is no one way to play one pocket, watching and playing different players will teach you the game faster than you can imagine.

Be carefull on who you beat up on in tournaments (John Henderson) they will start asking for a spot.

Don't be affraid to ask for help from guys like Billy P., Raf Martinez, George Michaels and of course John Henderson. Soak up what they have to say like a sponge, they will be happy to help and what better guys to learn from.

Good luck!

Chris

Be careful of Chris, too. He's sneaky good. You can go through Dudley pretty easily. Snark, snark.