F. Flintstone vs. B. Rubble 3069 B.C. Bedrock Open

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
vapros said:
I believe I want to leave the CB uptable, on my side, and as close to a rail as possible. So, I will two-rail the five out of Barney's corner, sending the CB to the long rail and then across to my side. Barney won't like it a bit.
If I can execute that, it's what I want to shoot too, because that upper corner looks like the strongest place to leave the cue ball.

This is the way I see it, with a little left english:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-06-14_07-39-09.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-06-14_07-39-09.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Timdog and Rodney's choice is a solid shot, providing you control the cue ball.

SJD choice is a very good shot, but it looks like the angle demands a good hit.

Frank's shot if laying good is the simplest to execute, but it may leave an out with the pink ball.

Vapros choice is a good one, easy to control the cue ball, but you must control the 5 ball. This choice may leave the 14 ball as an escape ball for Rubble.

I would shoot Timdogs shot because I am comfortable with the type of hit it demands. Plus it eliminates the 14 ball as an escape option for Rubble. There is no need to improve the position of the balls. Relocating the cue ball in a precise area is crucial from this position.

If the 14 ball is not your choice it is imo imperative to leave the cue ball on the bottom rail as close to the rail as possible, not on the side rail where the 14 ball will be a better option as an escape ball because of the angle the side rail will offer you going into the 14 ball. This angle will leave you with the ability to follow through the 14 ball with right spin taking you off the bottom rail and than toward the 11 and 4 balls. Hopefully in back of the 11 ball.

Leaving the cue ball on the bottom rail as close to the rail as possible greatly reduces the the option with the 14 ball as an escape ball.

Billy I.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Frank Almanza said:
I would try to keep Barney in trouble by doing this.Fred.JPG

John Brumback said:
You think It's laying good for that? Hard to tell sometimes from here.I like that too But I'm not sure you can do that from there.
That's why I don't get Into this much with you guys.But I'm watching and learning.Thanks,John B.

Fred didn't have the angle to shoot Franks shot, he had to play either the cueball or the 10 ball but not both. He elected to play all 10 ball and use it as a blocker.

FF's Shot.jpg

Here's how he left it for Barney:

FF's Leave.Jpeg

P.S. I would never bank the 14 ball. It already goes in my pocket and so does the 5, why move either one if you don't have to?

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
vapros said:
I believe I want to leave the CB uptable, on my side, and as close to a rail as possible. So, I will two-rail the five out of Barney's corner, sending the CB to the long rail and then across to my side. Barney won't like it a bit.

Good shot choice V-man...If the angle wasn't right for my shot, that would be my choice in a heartbeat.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Fred didn't have the angle to shoot Franks shot, he had to play either the cueball or the 10 ball but not both. He elected to play all 10 ball and use it as a blocker.

View attachment 3224

Here's how he left it for Barney:

View attachment 3225

P.S. I would never bank the 14 ball. It already goes in my pocket and so does the 5, why move either one if you don't have to?

Dennis
You would bank the 14 ball to position the cue ball to the upper left corner of the table. The choice Fred made allows Rubble to shoot off the pink as an escape ball.

Just because balls go into your pocket that doesn't mean that your not supposed to shoot off them. Your supposed to shoot off the ball that gives you the best chance of winning, regardless if they go into your pocket or not.

It looks like that all Rubble needs to do is shoot off the pink and stick behind the 6 ball and he's basically out of trouble.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
You would bank the 14 ball to position the cue ball to the upper left corner of the table. The choice Fred made allows Rubble to shoot off the pink as an escape ball.

Just because balls go into your pocket that doesn't mean that your not supposed to shoot off them. Your supposed to shoot off the ball that gives you the best chance of winning, regardless if they go into your pocket or not.

It looks like that all Rubble needs to do is shoot off the pink and stick behind the 6 ball and he's basically out of trouble.

Billy I.
Rubble also has another escape ball if the pink ball is laying awkward, that would be the 5 ball. Shooting off the right side of the 5 ball he could reposition the cue ball possibly behind the 11 ball.

That escape was made available by moving the 10 ball, and not getting the right movement with the cue ball. Fred imo didn't make a good shot, but maybe Rubble will return the favor.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dennis, this looks like the U.S. Open One Pocket tournament. Is there a reason why you don't want to identify the players in this match up?

I actually think it's a good idea not to identify any of the players in the matches that are discussed until all choices are made.

I actually don't know why I said that, maybe it just sounded right at the time.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
You would bank the 14 ball to position the cue ball to the upper left corner of the table.Actually Bill the reason I said I wouldn't do that is because I wouldn't do that. The choice Fred made allows Rubble to shoot off the pink as an escape ball.

Just because balls go into your pocket that doesn't mean that your not supposed to shoot off them. Your supposed to shoot off the ball that gives you the best chance of winning, regardless if they go into your pocket or not.No need to belabor the obvious Bill, the merely obvious will suffice:p .

It looks like that all Rubble needs to do is shoot off the pink and stick behind the 6 ball and he's basically out of trouble.If the 4 ball tickles the 13 and jaws up it could leave Fred an easy 6 & out.

Billy I.
Bill,

I didn't think it needed to be pointed out but I suppose I should've been more specific. I would not jack up near the rail and hit the 14(to bank it) with the speed necessary to put the cueball on the headrail.

Here's a viable possibility, if it lays right, that I'm surprised nobody pointed out. It can be hit with speed and you're knocking balls towards your pocket.

CD's Shot.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Rubble also has another escape ball if the pink ball is laying awkward, that would be the 5 ball. Shooting off the right side of the 5 ball he could reposition the cue ball possibly behind the 11 ball.That's the 13 ball and if Barney shot this shot and the cueball touched the 13 it would leave a very easy bank on the 14 into the 2 ball and a probable 6 & out for Fred.

That escape was made available by moving the 10 ball, and not getting the right movement with the cue ball. Fred imo didn't make a good shot, but maybe Rubble will return the favor.

Billy I.
Tough shot off the 5 ball. You'd have to get behind the 13. You can see in this pic the pink (4 ball) does not go easily around the 13 ball either.

Dennis

CapturedPicture_18.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Tough shot off the 5 ball. You'd have to get behind the 13. You can see in this pic the pink (4 ball) does not go easily around the 13 ball either.

Dennis

View attachment 3227
The fact is , is there are two possible escape balls that Rubble has. In regard to the pink ball If hit well the cue ball will stick behind the 6 ball and the pink will have the speed to either go into the pocket or leave the danger area.

And the other option off the 5 ball is another possible escape. You can't deny that there are two possible escape options.

Now envision the cue ball at the top left corner near the bottom rail. From there there are no escape balls.

I like the shot off the 14 ball or the shot off the 5 ball as a better option. If played off the 5 ball you want the cue ball to end up near or on the top rail left side of the table.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

I didn't think it needed to be pointed out but I suppose I should've been more specific. I would not jack up near the rail and hit the 14(to bank it) with the speed necessary to put the cueball on the headrail.

Here's a viable possibility, if it lays right, that I'm surprised nobody pointed out. It can be hit with speed and you're knocking balls towards your pocket.

View attachment 3226
First I really like the escape off the pink, and I wouldn't be concerned with the pink doubling the corner. Shooting off the pink is a very good option with little risk.

I like your bank billiard much more than the shot Fred chose. Actually it's a good shot if hit with right hand english, and with the speed to control the cue ball to end up near the top rail.

Billy I.

timdog24

Verified Member
wincardona said:
The fact is , is there are two possible escape balls that Rubble has. In regard to the pink ball If hit well the cue ball will stick behind the 6 ball and the pink will have the speed to either go into the pocket or leave the danger area.

And the other option off the 5 ball is another possible escape. You can't deny that there are two possible escape options.

Now envision the cue ball at the top left corner near the bottom rail. From there there are no escape balls.

I like the shot off the 14 ball or the shot off the 5 ball as a better option. If played off the 5 ball you want the cue ball to end up near or on the top rail left side of the table.

Billy I.

Good points Billy. I think there are a lot of very good options here as everything is in Fred's favor, but getting the cue ball to the top left corner is the strongest move - however you get there. It's pretty darn close to checkmate up there. There's nowhere to go.
If you're Barney, wouldn't you love to have the opportunity of shooting straight into the 4 ball hard or coming off the 5 ball in this dire situation?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
timdog24 said:
Good points Billy. I think there are a lot of very good options here as everything is in Fred's favor, but getting the cue ball to the top left corner is the strongest move - however you get there. It's pretty darn close to checkmate up there. There's nowhere to go.
If you're Barney, wouldn't you love to have the opportunity of shooting straight into the 4 ball hard or coming off the 5 ball in this dire situation?
I agree. The only trouble with the upper left hand corner I see is that you might force them to swing at some off angle combo or carom or long thin cut out of desperation and something might fall in their pocket :mad: Or does that only happen to me?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i will chirp in with something as well.

why not drive the 14 into the 2, looks like a natural angle for the cue ball to follow into the 5.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I like this shot better than playing off the pink ball. The pink looks like it will run into the 13 ball unless you cut it a little. If you do that then you will not be able to control the cue ball.barney shot.JPG

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:

Now envision the cue ball at the top left corner near the bottom rail. From there there are no escape balls.The top left corner is definitely the place to put the cueball in response to the original layout topic, but there's no great way of putting it there, in my opinion. Isn't it always like that playing one-pocket?:)

Billy I.
Bill,

I am not denying the two possible escape options, merely discussing the potential pitfalls of each. If I was faced with the response layout (now Barneys shot) I would in all likelihood also shoot the 4 ball off the rail into the 13 and send them both away. Either one or both may hit the 14 & 5 balls and knock them my way, but the very real possibility of the 4 ball jawing up in Freds pocket must be accounted for, we've all had that happen to us.

Here's the best possible ball movement other than a ball falling in Barneys pocket:

BR's Posssible Reply.jpg

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
andOriginally Posted by Tennessee Joe6
Cut the 15 in the side and leave the cue on the far short rail. The 15 spots behind the 10. But what do I know???

Cowboy Dennis said:
Tough shot, easy to miss, what happens then?

Dennis

If I miss the 15 the cueball is on the far rail and a tough sell out shot if my opponent misses the 15.

Am I missing something ( with all respect.)?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Tennessee Joe6 said:
Cut the 15 in the side and leave the cue on the far short rail. The 15 spots behind the 10. But what do I know???

If I miss the 15 the cueball is on the far rail and a tough sell out shot if my opponent misses the 15.

Am I missing something ( with all respect.)?

TJoe; I think yours is a good shot, not my choice, I'm a little more aggressive, but probably as good as any. I didn't see the shot. Thanks for the idea.:D
Rod.