Gabe Owen vs. Alex Pagulayan 2010 D.C.C.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

Well written posts don't need to be deciphered, they only need to be read. I always understand well written posts, I just see so few of them.

Dennis

Maybe you should try AZB. There you can read a lot of articulate bullshit.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Maybe you should try AZB. There you can read a lot of articulate bullshit.

Billy I.
Wow, a one minute turn-around time:) . Maybe you should just say to me what you really want to say Bill. Like I said, I ain't no hooplehead.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Wow, a one minute turn-around time:) . Maybe you should just say to me what you really want to say Bill. Like I said, I ain't no hooplehead.

Dennis
I did say what I wanted to say, I was only trying to send you somewhere where you can read some well written post. :D Plus I thought my post was well written and you still asked me to say what I I wanted to say.

Say it ain't so.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Plus I thought my post was well written and you still asked me to say what I I wanted to say.

Say it ain't so.

Billy I.
It ain't so. You changed "banking the 10 ball pocket speed" to "banking the 14 ball pocket speed". I told you Bill, I ain't no hooplehead. If you've got something to say to me just say it already, I would respect that.

wincardona said:
I would bank the 14 ball pocket speed, if I make the 14 ball I would two rail the 1 ball and stick there. This to me is a grinding position and I would like to have the first move. By banking the 10 ball pocket speed I will keep control of the position.

Billy I.
Cowboy Dennis said:
What????

Dennis

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
It ain't so. You changed "banking the 10 ball pocket speed" to "banking the 14 ball pocket speed". I told you Bill, I ain't no hooplehead. If you've got something to say to me just say it already, I would respect that.

Dennis

I thought we were past that?

Billy I.

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty, I agree, but contrary to popular opinion Gabe ain't much of a one-pocket player.

Dennis

Well, if that's the case, our favorite pastime is in bad shape in the way of talent.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
I thought so too Bill but I'm not always sure. Now I am. Thank you.

Dennis

This is fun...Kind of reminds me of the Duck and Beard show...only no one's feelers are getting hurt, beyond repair. (as it should be between grown men)...:p

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
senor said:
Well, if that's the case, our favorite pastime is in bad shape in the way of talent.
Senor,

I believe you said you played Gabe and he plays pretty good, I just never see it. I watched him (online) play Dave Peat and he was terrified the entire match and shot the wrong shot many times.

I have the Owen/Nevel finals match from the 2008 D.C.C. and it's a joke that these two guys made it to the finals. It's also a joke of a match.

I don't mean to pick on Gabes bad shots only but his bad choices are many. I just can't abide a good player choosing poor shots constantly.

Here is what he did, he cut the 5, hit it too full and scratched in Alex's pocket. It takes a computer to figure out how to scratch from here but he seems to have a knack for uncanny scratches since he quite often doesn't know where the cueball is going.

Gabe's Shot.jpg

cleary

Cowboy Dennis said:
Here is what he did, he cut the 5, hit it too full and scratched in Alex's pocket. It takes a computer to figure out how to scratch from here but he seems to have a knack for uncanny scratches since he quite often doesn't know where the cueball is going.

View attachment 2793

Obviously he missed AND scratched, so poor execution. But even if he makes the 3 ball and doesn't scratch, what does he gain other than being up 2-0 in balls? It doesn't seem like he has any type of plan after the 3 ball, right?

treeMan

Verified Member
cleary said:
Obviously he missed AND scratched, so poor execution. But even if he makes the 3 ball and doesn't scratch, what does he gain other than being up 2-0 in balls? It doesn't seem like he has any type of plan after the 3 ball, right?

To give Gabe the benefit of the doubt, maybe he had a 'top player' moment and wanted to try something grand. i.e.:

Cut in the three with speed, go the end rail and STRAIGHT back down into the stack, blow it up and run out.

Obviously he butchered the shot. (note that if he made the 3 he would have had a good chance of getting into the stack).

p.s. I would bank the 14 - I like nothing more than a simple chance to get the move up, or get a bunch of balls.

tree

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
cleary said:

Welcome to the site cleary! Hope you enjoy the ride.:)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
cleary said:

Well I think if he cut it in and came back, he might have a dead one in the stack.
Might have thought it worth a thin cut. :p
Rod.

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Senor,

I believe you said you played Gabe and he plays pretty good, I just never see it. I watched him (online) play Dave Peat and he was terrified the entire match and shot the wrong shot many times.

I have the Owen/Nevel finals match from the 2008 D.C.C. and it's a joke that these two guys made it to the finals. It's also a joke of a match.

I don't mean to pick on Gabes bad shots only but his bad choices are many. I just can't abide a good player choosing poor shots constantly.

IMO Gabe's wheelhouse is a 6 or 7 ahead kind of match. Or the long race he played with Big Tony a while back, I think it was a race to 21. He's a notoriously slow starter, but if he can get to grinding on you, watch out. You better play your best against him right away when you have chances to make him weak and keep him weak. These tourney situations really don't do him justice. All that being said, how in the hell does someone pass up the 14 ball here???

cleary

CaliRed said:
Welcome to the site cleary! Hope you enjoy the ride.:)

Thanks Cali. I'm learning one pocket (very slowly!). Not sure if you saw me play at all at Derby, but I need all the help I can get! Figured I could learn more here than AZ.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Anyone that critical of Gabe, who needs to call his play a joke, should actually step up and show him how it really done IMO.

Even. For real money. Otherwise, respect those who will absolutely dominate you a little more.

Anyone here want to back the Cowboy even against Gabe?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
BUD GREEN said:
Anyone that critical of Gabe, who needs to call his play a joke, should actually step up and show him how it really done IMO.

Even. For real money. Otherwise, respect those who will absolutely dominate you a little more.

Anyone here want to back the Cowboy even against Gabe?
Bud,

Anytime that I pay $20 for a pool match DVD I'll critique it any way I want if that's alright with you Bud and even if it's not alright with you.

Nevel & Owen being in the 2008 DCC finals was a joke and so was their level of play. Nevel can't play one-pocket at all.

I can count on one hand, without using a thumb, the number of times in my life that anybody bet on me in a pool game. Most times they were afraid to bet on me and afraid to bet against me. Plus I always bet my own, do you think your hero does that? I didn't & still wouldn't let people stake me.

Bud, if you knew how to play one-pocket then you would know what I'm talking about. Just look at the shot Gabe chose here. He does this in every game he plays. He shoots the absolutely stupidest shot he can find and then hits it horribly. It's become a pattern for him. How many examples of his ridiculously stupid shots do I have to post for anybody to see it?

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
senor said:
IMO Gabe's wheelhouse is a 6 or 7 ahead kind of match. Or the long race he played with Big Tony a while back, I think it was a race to 21. He's a notoriously slow starter, but if he can get to grinding on you, watch out. You better play your best against him right away when you have chances to make him weak and keep him weak. These tourney situations really don't do him justice. All that being said, how in the hell does someone pass up the 14 ball here???
Senor,

That may be it, he's a slow starter. I know that I am as well and I would hate to be playing in a tourney and play 3 out of 5 for the match. I'm used to being down 3-6 games before I start hittin' 'em. I know from you that Gabe can play and I believe it, I just wish I could see an example of it. I guess it will not be in a tourney situation though.

Dennis

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Senor,

That may be it, he's a slow starter. I know that I am as well and I would hate to be playing in a tourney and play 3 out of 5 for the match. I'm used to being down 3-6 games before I start hittin' 'em. I know from you that Gabe can play and I believe it, I just wish I could see an example of it. I guess it will not be in a tourney situation though.

Dennis

I was the same way Dennis :mad: Sucks for us. That's a big reason why my record against him was so poor...my slow starts. I had a decent game with him.

This is something else I witnessed, personally and against other players. If Gabe got to play you two, three or four days in a row, don't expect that slow start after the first day. He'll pick up on the next day right where he left off the day before, which was usually in a gear.