BCA Rules

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
What rules are used for tournaments today? There was a discussion a few weeks ago about some of the rules. I up loaded an app for Pool rules and they were BCA rules. For One pocket and Banks, they say an object ball off the table is a foul.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Do you mean the ruling when the cueball stays on table and OB flies off - play it where it lays, spot the fly ball, and you owe one.

This came up once while I was playing and I went to jump the CB off the table when his ball was in the pocket. The ball hit the facing, jumped off, and the CB hit the top of the rail and stayed on the table, leaving him a bank at the ball. I spotted the one I owed, he hung the bank, and I jumped it off the table again.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Yes that one and another? I am just wondering if there are two sets of pool rules and which set of pool rules are you supposed to follow? Is there another set of rules besides the BCA.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bill, if you're referring to one-pocket, most everyone uses the 1p.o rules for tournaments. The DCC uses them with minor variations, such as what constitutes a ball in the Kitchen. I'm assuming that the U.S. Open 1P will use the same rules as does the DCC.

If you're referring to rules for other pool games, it has become commonplace to use the WPA (World Pool-Billiard Association) rules. There is a link to their site under our "Playing The Game" menu, "Complete Rules".

Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
That's what I was wondering if there was a second set of rules that are being used. The app I loaded had only BCA rules and I was hoping it covered all the rules from different areas. I was watching the Sylva, Motta one pocket and they were spotting balls closest to the end rail in the kitchen. It seemed they were doing it to speed up the game but there never was an explanation for it. I tried calling JR but he has this new love in is life, (young German Shepard), that he is with spending a lot of time. So what were they doing?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Scrzbill said:
That's what I was wondering if there was a second set of rules that are being used. The app I loaded had only BCA rules and I was hoping it covered all the rules from different areas. I was watching the Sylva, Motta one pocket and they were spotting balls closest to the end rail in the kitchen. It seemed they were doing it to speed up the game but there never was an explanation for it. I tried calling JR but he has this new love in is life, (young German Shepard), that he is with spending a lot of time. So what were they doing?
You guessed it, Bill. Several guys, Helfert for one, have used this rule to speed up play. If there are X number (or all) of the balls above the side pockets, the closest one to the head rail is spotted after each player's inning.

Reportedly it does make for a faster game, and the players don't seem to mind it. It causes a guy to think about which ball will be spotted in terms of strategy.

I believe Helfert used the rule during the most recent one-pocket event at Hard Times awhile back. The rule would have very little utility in private matches.

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Bill, if you're referring to one-pocket, most everyone uses the 1p.o rules for tournaments. The DCC uses them with minor variations, such as what constitutes a ball in the Kitchen. I'm assuming that the U.S. Open 1P will use the same rules as does the DCC.

If you're referring to rules for other pool games, it has become commonplace to use the WPA (World Pool-Billiard Association) rules. There is a link to their site under our "Playing The Game" menu, "Complete Rules".

Doc[/QUOTE

Can Dock or Dennis post the BCA Eight ball Rules. PLease Please. I ned to get were I can repy to each rule.

And what iy shoild be. A seen them but I dont no howe too copy and get them on her.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Can Dock or Dennis post the BCA Eight ball Rules. PLease Please. I ned to get were I can repy to each rule.

And what iy shoild be. A seen them but I dont no howe too copy and get them on her.
Artie, here's the link for the WPA rules: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

Click on the tab #3, Eight Ball. The file was too big to copy here. The program only allows 10K bits.

The same rules appear on the BCA website, so they've agreed to have exactly the same rules.

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Artie Bodendorfer said:
How do I get them on her. Toochange them?
Pick a paragraph you want to copy. Point your cursor arrow at the beginning of the first word, then hold down the left button on you mouse and sweep it over the text you want to copy. It should highlight it in dark blue. It'll highlight anything that you sweep your cursor over. (You can sweep diagonally, left to right, or up and down.)

Then release the button and click on the right button. Select "Copy", then left click on "Copy".

Then open up your blank Reply. Point your cursor arrow wherever you want to paste the text copy, and left click on a blank space. Now right click, and select "Paste". Click on it, and the text that you've copied should appear.

Then you can add your comments just like in a normal post.

You can practice by going to any website, including this one, and follow the simple directions until you get the hang of it.

Doc

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
A reminder. These are the WORLD STANDARDIZED RULES. The Billiard Congress of America makes money selling these rules every year in their book of rules and records.
The BCA Pool League (BCAPL) is owned by Mark Griffin and the league has its own set of rule that differ from the World Standardized Rules. You can find these rule at http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook.aspx

WORLD STANDARDIZED RULES
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

3. Eight Ball

3.1 Determining First Break
3.2 Eight Ball Rack
3.3 Break Shot
3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups
3.5 Continuing Play
3.6 Shots Required to Be Called
3.7 Spotting Balls
3.8 Losing the Rack
3.9 Standard Fouls
3.10 Serious Fouls
3.11 Stalemate

3. Eight Ball
Eight ball is played with fifteen numbered object balls and the cue ball. The shooter’s group of seven balls (one through seven or nine through fifteen) must all be off the table before he attempts to pocket the eight ball to win. Shots are called.

3.1 Determining First Break
The player winning the lag has the option to determine who has to execute the first break shot. (See 1.2 Lagging to Determine Order of Play.) The standard format is alternate break (See Regulation 15, Subsequent Break Shots.)

3.2 Eight Ball Rack
The fifteen object balls are racked as tightly as possible in a triangle, with the apex ball on the foot spot and the eight ball as the first ball that is directly below the apex ball. One from each group of seven will be on the two lower corners of the triangle. The other balls are placed in the triangle without purposeful or intentional pattern.

Eight Ball Rack

3.3 Break Shot
The following rules apply to the break shot:
(a) The cue ball begins in hand behind the head string.
(b) No ball is called, and the cue ball is not required to hit any particular object ball first.
(c) If the breaker pockets a ball and does not foul, he continues at the table, and the table remains open. (See 3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups.)
(d) If no object ball is pocketed, at least four object balls must be driven to one or more rails, or the shot results in an illegal break, and the incoming player has the option of

(1) accepting the table in position, or
(2) re-racking and breaking, or
(3) re-racking and allowing the offending player to break again.

(e) Pocketing the eight ball on a legal break shot is not a foul. If the eight ball is pocketed, the breaker has the option of

(1) re-spotting the eight ball and accepting the balls in position, or
(2) re-breaking.

(f) If the breaker pockets the eight ball and scratches (see definition 8.6 Scratch), the opponent has the option of

(1) re-spotting the eight ball and shooting with cue ball in hand behind the head string; or
(2) re-breaking.

(g) If any object ball is driven off the table on a break shot, it is a foul; such balls remain out of play (except the eight ball which is re-spotted); and the incoming player has the option of

(1) accepting the table in position, or
(2) taking cue ball in hand behind the head string.

(h) If the breaker fouls in any manner not listed above, the following player has the option of

(1) accepting the balls in position, or
(2) taking cue ball in hand behind the head string.

3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups
Before groups are determined, the table is said to be “open,” and before each shot, the shooter must call his intended ball. If the shooter legally pockets his called ball, the corresponding group becomes his, and his opponent is assigned the other group. If he fails to legally pocket his called ball, the table remains open and play passes to the other player. When the table is “open”, any object ball may be struck first except the eight ball.

3.5 Continuing Play
The shooter remains at the table as long as he continues to legally pocket called balls, or he wins the rack by pocketing the eight ball.

3.6 Shots Required to Be Called
On each shot except the break, shots must be called as explained in 1.6 Standard Call Shot. The eight ball may be called only after the shot on which the shooter’s group has been cleared from the table. The shooter may call “safety” in which case play passes to the opponent at the end of the shot and any object ball pocketed on the safety remains pocketed. (See 8.17 Safety Shot.)

3.7 Spotting Balls
If the eight ball is pocketed or driven off the table on the break, it will be spotted or the balls will be re-racked. (See 3.3 Break Shot and 1.4 Spotting Balls.) No other object ball is ever spotted.

3.8 Losing the Rack
The shooter loses if he
(a) fouls when pocketing the eight ball;
(b) pockets the eight ball before his group is cleared;
(c) pockets the eight ball in an uncalled pocket; or
(d) drives the eight ball off the table.
These do not apply to the break shot. (See 3.3 Break Shot.)

3.9 Standard Fouls
If the shooter commits a foul, play passes to his opponent. The cue ball is in hand, and the incoming player may place it anywhere on the playing surface. (See 1.5 Cue Ball in Hand.)

The following are standard fouls at eight ball:

6.1 Cue Ball Scratch or off the Table
6.2 Wrong Ball First The first ball contacted by the cue ball on each shot must belong to the shooter’s group, except when the table is open. (See 3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups).
6.3 No Rail after Contact
6.4 No Foot on Floor
6.5 Ball Driven off the Table (See 3.7 Spotting Balls.)
6.6 Touched Ball
6.7 Double Hit / Frozen Balls
6.8 Push Shot
6.9 Balls Still Moving
6.10 Bad Cue Ball Placement
6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
6.13 Playing out of Turn
6.15 Slow Play

3.10 Serious Fouls
The fouls listed under 3.8 Losing the Rack are penalized by the loss of the current rack. For 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct, the referee will choose a penalty appropriate given the nature of the offense.

3.11 Stalemate
If a stalemate occurs (see 1.12 Stalemate), the original breaker of the rack will break again.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
A reminder. These are the WORLD STANDARDIZED RULES. The Billiard Congress of America makes money selling these rules every year in their book of rules and records.
The BCA Pool League (BCAPL) is owned by Mark Griffin and the league has its own set of rule that differ from the World Standardized Rules. You can find these rule at http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook.aspx
There is something wrong on their site. I couldn't get past the opening page of the "Rulebook". Then the site locked up. Perhaps it's due to using Firefox....:confused:

Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
gulfportdoc said:
There is something wrong on their site. I couldn't get past the opening page of the "Rulebook". Then the site locked up. Perhaps it's due to using Firefox....:confused:

Doc

Now I am totally confused. No wonder there's so many trivial arguments about the rules. I am going to write the definative rules and call them BCAKY rules. BCA Kentucky. LOL I can just see watching a football game and the announcer saying, today we are playing by blah, blah, rules and for those of you from not from Florida that may not be familiar with the double touch down rule, that was it.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Gulf Port Doc You found the fountan off youth.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I used IE, and was able to get into the PlayBCA format. Here are the 8-ball rules from the PlayBCA website:

RULES SECTION 2
8-BALL

2.1 The Game
8-Ball is a call shot game played with a cue ball and fifteen object balls numbered 1 through 15. Each player or team has a group of seven balls: the solid colored balls numbered 1 through 7, or the striped balls numbered 9 through 15. The 8-ball is the game winning ball. The object of the game is for you to pocket your entire group of balls and then legally pocket the 8-ball. The game is played by two players or two teams.

2.2 8-Ball Rack
The balls are racked as follows (see Figure 2-1):
a. in a triangle with the apex ball on the foot spot;
b. the rows behind the apex are parallel to the foot string;
c. the 8-ball is in the middle of the row of three balls;
d. the remaining balls are placed at random, except that the ball at each rear corner of the rack must be of a different group from the other rear corner. The left/right orientation of the groups for those two balls does not matter. (AR p. 87) Apex One solid and one stripe, left/right orientation does not matter. Foot Figure 2-1 Apex ball on foot spot. 8

2.3 Break Requirements
1. You begin the break with ball in hand behind the head string. There is no requirement to call a ball on the break shot or for the cue ball to contact any particular ball first. You must pocket a ball or cause at least four object balls to contact one or more cushions or it is an illegal break. If you pocket a ball, you continue to shoot. If you do not pocket a ball or you commit a foul, your inning ends. (AR p. 88)
2. If you intend to break softly, you must notify your opponent and allow them the opportunity to call a referee to watch your break. Failure to do so is a foul.
3. If your break is illegal your inning ends. Your opponent may:
a. accept the table in position if you did not scratch;
b. take ball in hand if you foul;
c. re-rack the balls and break;
d. require you to re-rack the balls and break again.
4. If you foul on a legal break and do not pocket the 8-ball, your inning ends and any other pocketed balls remain pocketed. Your opponent receives ball in hand.
5. (consolidated with Rule 2.3.4)
6. In all cases on the break, jumped balls other than the 8-ball are not returned to the table except in the case of a re-rack.

2.4 8-Ball Pocketed on the Break (AR p. 88)
1. If you pocket the 8-ball on the break and do not foul, you may:
a. have the 8-ball spotted and accept the table in position or;
b. re-rack the balls and break again.
2. If you pocket the 8-ball on the break and foul, your inning ends. Your opponent may:
a. have the 8-ball spotted and take ball in hand;
b. re-rack the balls and break;
c. (deleted)
3. (consolidated with Rule 2.4.2)
4. If the 8-ball is pocketed on the break, and it is not noticed until after another shot has been taken, the game will be replayed with the player who broke the game breaking again.

2.5 Table Open After the Break
The table is always open after the break and remains open until groups are established. When the table is open, all object balls except the 8-ball are legal object balls. For combination shots, a ball of one group may be contacted first to pocket a ball of the other
group. The 8-ball may be part of such a combination if it is not the first ball contacted by the cue ball.

2.6 Establishing Groups
1. Groups are established when the first object ball is legally pocketed on a shot after the break. The player legally pocketing the first ball is assigned that group, and the opponent is assigned the other group. You cannot establish a group on a safety. (AR p. 88)
2. If all balls of either group are pocketed on the break or illegally pocketed before groups are established, either player may legally shoot the 8-ball during their inning. You win the game if you legally pocket the 8-ball on such a shot.
3. Once they are established, groups can never change for the remainder of that game. If a player shoots the wrong group and no foul is called before the next shot and the player continues to shoot at that group, or if at any time during the game it is discovered by either player or a referee that the players are shooting the wrong groups, the game will be replayed with the player who broke the game breaking again.

2.7 Continuing Play
1. Once groups are established, play continues with each player having their group as legal object balls. Balls in your opponents' group and the 8-ball are illegal object balls. When it is your inning, you continue to shoot as long as you legally pocket a ball on each shot. Object balls pocketed in addition to the called ball remain pocketed. Your inning ends if you do not legally pocket a ball.
2. Jumped balls and illegally pocketed balls are not returned to the table but do count in favor of the player with that group.

2.8 Safety Play
Prior to any shot except the break, you may declare a safety. On a safety, your inning ends after the shot regardless of whether you pocket any ball. You must declare the safety to your opponent before the shot, and they must acknowledge your intentions. If you do not declare a safety or it is not acknowledged, and you pocket an obvious ball, your inning continues and you must shoot again. A safety must meet the requirements of a legal shot or it is a foul. (AR p. 67, 88)

2.9 Shooting the 8-Ball
1. The 8-ball becomes your legal object ball on your first shot after the last ball of your group is pocketed. The player who legally pockets the 8-ball wins the game. (AR p. 89)
2. With the exception of the provisions of Rule 2.10, it is not loss of game if you foul but do not pocket the 8-ball. Your opponent receives ball in hand.

2.10 Loss of Game
You lose the game if:
a. you illegally pocket the 8-ball; (AR p. 88)
b. you jump the 8-ball off the table on any shot other than the break;
c. you pocket the 8-ball on the same shot as the last ball of your group;
d. you violate any General Rule that requires loss of game as a penalty;
e. you pocket the 8-ball on a shot defined as not obvious that you do not call (Rule 1.17.5 does not apply to 8-Ball);
f. you foul under Rule 1.33.4 or 1.33.7 and the 8-ball falls into a pocket.

2.11 Stalemate
If a referee judges that the table is in a position such that any attempt to pocket or move a ball will result in loss of game, and each player has played three consecutive innings without significantly changing the position, the referee will declare a stalemate and the game will be replayed with the player who broke the game breaking again. (AR p. 89)

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
gulfportdoc said:
8 ball rules

Doc,
The BCAPL also has different rules in the 'general rules of play'.

Two that I know;

8 ball now has ball in hand anywhere on the table on BREAK Fouls.
No more reracks, do overs, behind the line or incoming player gets to break.

It is no longer a foul to place your cue on the table, release it from your hand, and use it as an aiming reference device.

You might want to reference the General Rules also with any specific game rules.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
Doc,
The BCAPL also has different rules in the 'general rules of play'.

Two that I know;

8 ball now has ball in hand anywhere on the table on BREAK Fouls.
No more reracks, do overs, behind the line or incoming player gets to break.

It is no longer a foul to place your cue on the table, release it from your hand, and use it as an aiming reference device.

You might want to reference the General Rules also with any specific game rules.
Thanks, Tom. I betcha Artie loves the BIH on a break foul.;) Jokes aside, I don't like the BIH rules.

Too bad about the laying the cue alone on the table foul. I have been waiting to call that one on someone.:cool:

Doc