J. Farrell vs. J. Kirkwood 2006 D.C.C.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Absolutely

Absolutely

Cowboy Dennis said:
NG NFS, the shot from there would be to roll the 8 in. Nobody would shoot the 9 unless it was in the jaws. Shoot the 8 in and the guy has to hit the spotted balls and leave you a safe by rolling in the 9 ball which is what the shot was the first time.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AAUF1CATW1FATn1HAUV3IWrg1PCSg@[/CUETABLE]

That is correct. When you shoot the 8 into the pocket you position the q ball so he is snookered on the 9. He will be forced to play safe off of the cluster leaving you down table where you can easily roll the 9 in, putting all balls into play, and your oppo 9 feet away.

Even so, all these extra shots could have been avoided by rolling the 9 in, in the first place. If you are afraid of leaving your oppo a 9 ft, off angle, straight back from off the cushion, then you probably have a very, very bad game.

Beard

dinoboy1

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Il
With the lead

With the lead

When you have the lead and needing one. A ball hanging in the back corner pocket like the 9 ball, is of little use to you, insofar as it affords only a little protection in that your opponent cant get out in one shot. But if he makes all the balls that are loose he can then pocket that last ball, spot it up and leave you nine feet away and frozen on the gum. However, a ball hanging in the pocket at the foot of the table is the best protection for someone needing one.
It is very hard to make that ball and not leave a decent shot, especially if there is some distance between the cue ball and that ball.

Dinoboy

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
why do you have to hit the line up of balls??

why do you have to hit the line up of balls??

fred bentivegna said:
That is correct. When you shoot the 8 into the pocket you position the q ball so he is snookered on the 9. He will be forced to play safe off of the cluster leaving you down table where you can easily roll the 9 in, putting all balls into play, and your oppo 9 feet away.

Even so, all these extra shots could have been avoided by rolling the 9 in, in the first place. If you are afraid of leaving your oppo a 9 ft, off angle, straight back from off the cushion, then you probably have a very, very bad game.

Beard
cant you kick at the 9??
if you make it it spots up
in banks what do you do next with 4 balls on the spot and you are on the end rail??

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My specialty

My specialty

lll said:
cant you kick at the 9??
if you make it it spots up
in banks what do you do next with 4 balls on the spot and you are on the end rail??

You can kick at the 9 but it is a horrible shot. First off you are liable to kick the cue ball past the 9 and into the pocket for a scratch. The 9 is not even hanging in the pocket, depending on how you contact it off of the kick, and provided you dont scratch, you run the risk of bumping the 9 up to where you can bank it somewhere. Even if it was hanging, it is not a good shot. Even then you might hit the 9 full in the face and follow it into the pocket.

With 4 balls on the spot you shoot the cue ball as if you were banking it two in the side. The cue ball comes off of the side of the lineup, opening up the balls slightly and proceeds back down to the end rail, safe. A powerful shot.

Beard

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
freddy if i get the diamonds wrong correct me please
you have made the 9 in spite of all the perile you mentioned and now its my shot ill show my shot in the next post so we have a weii table to use as baseline
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AAUF1CATW1FATn1HAUV1IAdn3PLAR@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
so if the upper left corner was my pocket in 1p standing over the cue ready to shoot id play the same kind of safe??
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AAUF1CATW1FATn1HAMW1IAdn3PLQN1UAUF2UIDe1WATW2WHUe1aATn2aHuE1cAMW2cAMX2cFjF3kLQN1kcGp1kQOi1kDGU4kFRy@[/CUETABLE]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Same deal

Same deal

lll said:
so if the upper left corner was my pocket in 1p standing over the cue ready to shoot id play the same kind of safe??
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AAUF1CATW1FATn1HAMW1IAdn3PLQN1UAUF2UIDe1WATW2WHUe1aATn2aHuE1cAMW2cAMX2cFjF3kLQN1kcGp1kQOi1kDGU4kFRy@[/CUETABLE]

Yes, you would. One pocket or banks it works well.

Beard