One Pocket Books

Patrick

Good morning,

I've been reading the forums for practice methods and I already have started to build up my DVD collection of training videos and one pocket matches.

With a baby on the way, my playtime will be down to zero in the coming months so I'm trying to get some books for my mini break from the game. I've done some searches on these forums, but my results were a little spotty.

Does anyone have a good list of what they would consider "required" reading for any true student of the game?

Thanks!

-Patrick

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Patrick said:
Good morning,

I've been reading the forums for practice methods and I already have started to build up my DVD collection of training videos and one pocket matches.

With a baby on the way, my playtime will be down to zero in the coming months so I'm trying to get some books for my mini break from the game. I've done some searches on these forums, but my results were a little spotty.

Does anyone have a good list of what they would consider "required" reading for any true student of the game?

Thanks!

-Patrick
Patrick,

The only two books I own that teach one-pocket are Winning One Pocket by Eddie Robin & Shots, Moves and Strategies by Eddie Robin. They are both out of print and expensive. You can find used ones cheaper at times though.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Winning-One-Pocket-As-Taught-Greatest-Players/dp/0936362146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301322769&sr=1-1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/One-Pocket-Shots-Moves-Strategies-Greatest/dp/0936362049/ref=pd_sim_b_1[/ame]

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
uipscale one pocket by koehler is not bad for a beginer
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Upscale-One-Pocket-Jack-H-Koehler/dp/0962289035[/ame]

the crown jewels are the eddie robins books that dennis mentioned.

patrick you specificaly asked about books but Biily Incardona, and Grady Matthews have great videos/dvds on one pocket.

Patrick

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate the help.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

-Patrick

Last edited:

Patrick

lll said:
the crown jewels are the eddie robins books that dennis mentioned.

patrick you specificaly asked about books but Biily Incardona, and Grady Matthews have great videos/dvds on one pocket.

I've accumulated most of Grady's videos over the last year on DVD. Don't have any of Billy's yet but I will get them one day.

My current "wishlist" that I gave my wife for my birthday are the Scott Frost and Gabe Owen DVD sets.

I also signed up for the Accustats VOTM club and asked them to focus my selections on one pocket matches. I don't have much of a collection yet....but all collections have to start somewhere.

-Patrick

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Billy's Video

Billy's Video

Billy"s dvd/vhs was one of the best things ive seen when i first started out. Where he talks about the thought process of what the upcoing shot should be has always stayed with me and has proven to be invaluable. keith

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Billy's DVD

Billy's DVD

Billy's Onepocket DVD is very good, and I do happen to carry it on my website. (along with others)

Beard

Toledo Joe Thomas has a Onepocket DVD that I will carry (Toledo Joes Game Busting One Pocket). It is due out in about 3 weeks. I have seen bits and pieces of it and it looks pretty good.

Skin

Verified Member
Patrick, you can get copies of the Eddie Robins books through your public library even if your library does not have one. The process is called interlibrary loan. There are many copies across the country. The librarian can locate them and get them in for you to borrow.

Skin < zat's what he did

Patrick

fred bentivegna said:
Billy's Onepocket DVD is very good, and I do happen to carry it on my website. (along with others)

Beard

Toledo Joe Thomas has a Onepocket DVD that I will carry (Toledo Joes Game Busting One Pocket). It is due out in about 3 weeks. I have seen bits and pieces of it and it looks pretty good.

I will be buying this DVD, seems like people really like it.

Thanks for the info.

-Patrick

Patrick

Skin said:
Patrick, you can get copies of the Eddie Robins books through your public library even if your library does not have one. The process is called interlibrary loan. There are many copies across the country. The librarian can locate them and get them in for you to borrow.

Skin < zat's what he did

It's amazing...looking for a book at the Library didn't even cross my mind and I grew up when libraries were still quite popular. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

-Patrick

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
+1 for upscale one pocket, it is more for getting you in the mode of thought, and recognizing Long-term reward for correct strategy than it is for giving you expert advice on critical situations.

The Eddie Robin Books are great.

Koehler's other book, The Science of Pocket Billiards, will definitely polish up some unknowns about how clusters, throw, why balls do what, etc.

Grady's instructional Video(s) are also very good stuff. I first ABSORBED what was taught, to these videos.

Billy I's video was a very informative piece, offering some solid strategic knowledge and blending it with some good principle shots. Good for intermediate player, who needs a boost in warfare.

I have the 3 dvd instructional set of Cliff Joyner/Wade Crane I would trade for a good match or two...Handle our own shipping..hint hint

Patrick

Thank you everyone for the responses so far...between posts and PM's I have a great place to start. I went through everything and compiled this list for reference. While I can't afford to buy the Robin's books just yet, I think I can take care of the rest of this list in short order as I already have or already ordered some of these.

I started off with books but evolved into DVD's as well and that is cool. I'll take any help I can get while my table time takes a hit.

Books:
Winning One Pocket - Eddie Robin
Shots, Moves and Strategies - Eddie Robin
Upscale One Pocket - Jack Koehler (ordered)
The Science of Pocket Billiards -Jack Koehler (ordered)

DVDs:
Power One Pocket - Scott Frost (ordered Lenny's combo deal)
One Pocket My Way - Gabe Owen
Game Busting One Pocket - Toledo Joe
Bank Shots that dont Go, but Do DVD's - Freddy “The Beard” Bentivegna
KILLER ONE POCKET - Grady Matthews (already own)
THE FINISHING TOUCH - Grady Matthews (already own)
THE FINER POINTS OF ONE-POCKET - Grady Matthews (already own)
ONLY KICKS - Grady Matthews (already own)
One Pocket Instructional - Bill Incardona
Cliff Joyner/Wade Crane Instructional DVD set

Order of priority for the items I don't have...although I made need to part with one of my cues for the last two. Some of these have already been suggested to my wife...my birthday is in April:

1. One Pocket Instructional - Bill Incardona
2. Bank Shots that don't go, but do - Freddy “The Beard” Bentivegna
3. One Pocket My Way - Gabe Owen
4. Cliff Joyner/Wade Crane Instructional DVD set
5. Game Busting One Pocket - Toledo Joe
6. Winning One Pocket - Eddie Robin
7. Shots, Moves and Strategies - Eddie Robin

Thanks!

-Patrick

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
DVD's and Books

DVD's and Books

What I have learned so far on DVD's and Books is that at some point, you have to get to one of the guys who can really play and go through a couple of games with them "talking through every shot"... Freddy, and the Ghost did that for me...

I could watch and read, and have become 1/2 sure of most of the shots to execute from what I would call rote memorization... but the truly gifted, see the shots differently... most on this site have at least 20 years of old school knowledge...

Five nights in Chicago proved that point to me... knowing what to shoot, where to leave the cue, when to move and when to shoot percentage wise does not come overnight...

It all still comes down to execution, or as Artie says, playing mistake free... which is an elusive pursuit, at least for me...

Good luck on you pursuit of excellence... It is a great game...

Patrick

I hear exactly what your saying.

I see this stuff as a resource...things I can read/watch when I can't get to the table. It will never replace actual table time and at some point I could benefit by talking to someone who can pull it all together for me. I will cross the bridge one day.

I truly appreciate the advice and anyone that takes the time to chime in on this thread.

Thank you all.

-Patrick