Move one ball, Move Two balls, well you get the idea.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Currently the one pocket.org rules are:
6.1 Unless otherwise announced by the tournament director, One Pocket is played according to the World General Rules 1.16.1, ‘cue ball fouls only’. In the event that a player accidentally moves a ball, the opponent may elect to have the disturbed ball (note, BALLis SINGULAR) remain in its new position or be restored to its original position. When balls (note: balls is PLURAL) are restored, they shall be placed as close as possible to their original positions, with no advantage to be gained by the offending player. If no official is available to restore disturbed balls, then the players must come to agreement on satisfactory replacement of the disturbed balls prior to continuing play.

I'm not trying to be nitpicking but when does it become enough? How many balls can you move without it becoming a foul?

The U.S. Open One Pocket Championship will be playing rules which stipulates:
If you accidently move a ball in the process of shooting the opponent has the option to leave it or move it back. It is not a foul. However, if it does have an effect on the outcome of the shot it is a foul (moving in the path, etc.). If you move more than one ball it is a foul and there is no restoration option.

Does anyone think that the one pocket.org rules should be updated to be similar to the U.S. Open One Pocket Championship rules?

JoeyA

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I am still trying to understand if these rules for the US Open One Pocket are there to make it easier for the Refs/TD to make a ruling and get the game moving... or is it to improve the game... still wondering.

I think the OnePocket rules might think about editing the 's' after 'ball' in this rule.

JoeyA said:
6.1 Unless otherwise announced by the tournament director, One Pocket is played according to the World General Rules 1.16.1, ‘cue ball fouls only’. In the event that a player accidentally moves a ball, the opponent may elect to have the disturbed ball (note, BALLis SINGULAR) remain in its new position or be restored to its original position. When balls (note: balls is PLURAL) are restored, they shall be placed as close as possible to their original positions, with no advantage to be gained by the offending player. If no official is available to restore disturbed balls, then the players must come to agreement on satisfactory replacement of the disturbed balls prior to continuing play.

I'm not trying to be nitpicking but when does it become enough? How many balls can you move without it becoming a foul?

If you accidently move a ball in the process of shooting the opponent has the option to leave it or move it back. It is not a foul. However, if it does have an effect on the outcome of the shot it is a foul (moving in the path, etc.). If you move more than one ball it is a foul and there is no restoration option.

Does anyone think that the one pocket.org rules should be updated to be similar to the U.S. Open One Pocket Championship rules?

JoeyA

bernie p

Verified Member
JoeyA said:

JoeyA

Joey,

I agree with you that it does seem more logical and fair to play by the BCA one pocket rules regarding this issue.

Am I interpreting the OP.org ruling correctly in that I can "accidentally" move several object balls without incurring a foul? If so, without a referee (which is essentially 99.9% of play) it would seem that replacing the balls back to their original position would present potential arguments. I don't know of any decent player that would prefer to play by that ruling.

By comparing both sets of rules you'll notice that the BCA rules are not as comprehenive as OP.orgs rules regarding certain specifics.

I believe it would be in the best interest of the game to have one set of standardized rules.

Thanks.

Bernie.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Lesser Of Two Evils

Lesser Of Two Evils

JoeyA said:

JoeyA

I can understand how people can like either rule, but personally I like the One Pocket.org ruling on this issue.

We older players played by the no foul rule all of our lives and very seldom had a problem. And yes I do agree that there are problems playing with the rule, but there are problems playing with the other rule as well. My concern is which rule is more of a game changing infraction, and also which rule breeds arguments?

I believe that when you play in a event that is not supervised by an official, or referee it's hard to ask the players competing to call fouls. Especially in an area that possibly could be clouded. This to me breeds problems, game changing problems.

In most cases where two or more balls are moved they can be restored to their original position, most cases meaning probably in the high 90 % range. So if this is accurate the rule that's in place with One Pocket .Org should suffice in this somewhat unique situation (unsupervised event)

It's bad enough in professional sports when an official makes a wrong call that decides the winner of a game. That certainly is an injustice, but not nearly as bad as an injustice is if your opponent made that call.

My two cents.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
It's bad enough in professional sports when an official makes a wrong call that decides the winner of a game. That certainly is an injustice, but not nearly as bad as an injustice is if your opponent made that call.
My two cents.

Billy I.
Bill,

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something here but I'll ask anyway: just what does your last sentence mean? In the absence of a referree who else would make a call except for your opponent? Like I said, I'm sure I'm missing something.

I also always played that moving an object ball was no foul unless a ball you moved hit the cueball. I tried to avoid clumsy players who had the habit of moving multiple balls during games.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something here but I'll ask anyway: just what does your last sentence mean? In the absence of a referree who else would make a call except for your opponent? Like I said, I'm sure I'm missing something.

I also always played that moving an object ball was no foul unless a ball you moved hit the cueball. I tried to avoid clumsy players who had the habit of moving multiple balls during games.

Dennis
That was my reasoning for not liking the rule of your opponent having the ability to call a foul.

I said it was bad enough in professional sports when an official made a wrong call that cost a team the game. But it's worse if your opponent has the ability to make a bad call and cost you the game by calling a foul, if there wasn't one.

Billy I.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I actually like the idea of moving a little closer to all ball fouls -- but not completely to all ball fouls -- what I advocate is something like this:

If a player touches or moves an object ball/balls prior to their shot, then the ball/balls are moved back and the player is warned. If they touch or move an object ball a second time, it is a foul. If they move an object ball during their shot (i.e., too late to hold up their stroke and replace the ball/s), then it is a foul, period -- with no warning. In the event of a disputed close call, the benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter if the call is made by the opponent. However, if the opponent anticipates a close call, then the opponent always has the right to call a referee or a neutral party to act as referee, and both players will have to accept the call of the acting referee.

I think this is a good compromise between "cue ball fouls only" and "all ball fouls".

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
wincardona said:
That was my reasoning for not liking the rule of your opponent having the ability to call a foul.

I said it was bad enough in professional sports when an official made a wrong call that cost a team the game. But it's worse if your opponent has the ability to make a bad call and cost you the game by calling a foul, if there wasn't one.

Billy I.
I saw exactly this happen last weekend. I was watching a friend of mine from a little distance, but with a good view. They had an exchange of kick safeties playing 9-ball with only the 8 and 9 on the table. My friend left the 9 ball about a diamond off the bottom rail, in the center of the rail, with the 8 ball also centered under it, about a half diamond off the rail. The cue ball was in the middle of the other end rail, about a half diamond off the cushion. His opponent could maybe just see the edge of the 8 ball, and he shot down table as if to skim the 8, which was about 8 feet away, and appeared to miss completely both going down and coming back, and leaving the cue ball back up table about where it had started. My friend picked up the cue ball to take ball in hand, because it was clear that the 8ball had not moved. But the opponent jumped up and claimed he had skimmed the 8-ball on the way down, slightly rocking it. The TD was called and she awarded the guy a good hit and my friend a foul for picking up the cue ball. it would have put either player on the hill to win that game, and basically the guy by claiming to have hit the ball won the game. I thought it was a bit much to expect to send the cue ball that far and not actually see the 8-ball move, but it won the guy the match.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
NH Steve said:
I saw exactly this happen last weekend. I was watching a friend of mine from a little distance, but with a good view. They had an exchange of kick safeties playing 9-ball with only the 8 and 9 on the table. My friend left the 9 ball about a diamond off the bottom rail, in the center of the rail, with the 8 ball also centered under it, about a half diamond off the rail. The cue ball was in the middle of the other end rail, about a half diamond off the cushion. His opponent could maybe just see the edge of the 8 ball, and he shot down table as if to skim the 8, which was about 8 feet away, and appeared to miss completely both going down and coming back, and leaving the cue ball back up table about where it had started. My friend picked up the cue ball to take ball in hand, because it was clear that the 8ball had not moved. But the opponent jumped up and claimed he had skimmed the 8-ball on the way down, slightly rocking it. The TD was called and she awarded the guy a good hit and my friend a foul for picking up the cue ball. it would have put either player on the hill to win that game, and basically the guy by claiming to have hit the ball won the game. I thought it was a bit much to expect to send the cue ball that far and not actually see the 8-ball move, but it won the guy the match.
Your friend was wrong for picking up the cue ball without first calling a foul. But his opponent took unfair advantage of the situation because he knew that he would be awarded the call. Do you think that if they were playing the rule if you move two or more balls it's a foul, that he would call a foul if it kinda looked like his opponent moved two balls? That's my point. Why have a rule that brings out the larceny in people, especially when certain people will exploit it.

Billy I.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
JoeyA said:

JoeyA

In the onepocket.org rule, the singular refers to one particular instance of an infraction whereas the grammar utilizing the plural form refers to the mitigation technique of all such infractions.

You can trust me, I took 60 years of English.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
wincardona said:
Your friend was wrong for picking up the cue ball without first calling a foul. But his opponent took unfair advantage of the situation because he knew that he would be awarded the call. Do you think that if they were playing the rule if you move two or more balls it's a foul, that he would call a foul if it kinda looked like his opponent moved two balls? That's my point. Why have a rule that brings out the larceny in people, especially when certain people will exploit it.

Billy I.
I agree Billy -- you don't want to have rules that are inadvertently set up to invite easy larceny or too much argument.

PreacherRonn

Verified Member
From
Mesa, AZ
Restoring moved balls and rules for play

Restoring moved balls and rules for play

First off let me say thanks for all the posts and conversation. I normally don't respond to threads too often but this one could impact the game and that concerns me. Just to be clear, I've read and understand the events that lead to Joey A's question:

So here comes my two cents.

First, it's very difficult to create Gentleman's Rules to govern un-gentlemanly conduct. Case in point: I recently listened to a post on Youtube where a well known player we'll call ES described the events where he knowingly fouled in a match against Charlie Williams. Charlie called a foul, but ES, knowing that his position blocked the refs view, turned to the ref and said "Did you see a foul?" Off course the ref didn't see it and the ruling went to ES. Later ES was found gloating online about this unsportsmanlike conduct.

The rules that we currently play under are created to provide a framework for gentlemanly conduct and I don't believe that we can rule out ungentlemanly conduct. The official book of rules would be volumes and the game would become unfun (if there is such a word).

Second, I do not believe that we should adopt the U.S. Open rule regarding: Declaration of a foul with no repositioning of balls. That rule can lead to all kinds of uglyness. For example: My opponent has three balls covering his hole which he manages to get me behind. Jacked up trying to remove the balls I fall off my bridge and my hand accidently knocks all three balls away from his hole. FOUL, no repositioning... not a good rule. Worse, what if I do it on purpose and declare it to be an accident?

We need to keep in mind that these rules are meant to function in a Gentleman's environment. Let's all have some fun and enjoy the game. If I'm in action heads up and somebody acts like that I have the option of saying thanks but we're all done. If in a tournament I'm somewhat at the mercy of Sportsmanlike Conduct, and hopefully that will prevail.

These are just my thoughts. I hope they mean something to you.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:

But it's worse if your opponent has the ability to make a bad call and cost you the game by calling a foul, if there wasn't one.

Billy I.
Bill,

I didn't realize that the rules first mentioned gave the ability to your opponent to call an enforceable foul on you without you being able to contest it. My bad.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
PreacherRonn said:
First off let me say thanks for all the posts and conversation. I normally don't respond to threads too often but this one could impact the game and that concerns me. Just to be clear, I've read and understand the events that lead to Joey A's question:

So here comes my two cents.

First, it's very difficult to create Gentleman's Rules to govern un-gentlemanly conduct. Case in point: I recently listened to a post on Youtube where a well known player we'll call ES described the events where he knowingly fouled in a match against Charlie Williams. Charlie called a foul, but ES, knowing that his position blocked the refs view, turned to the ref and said "Did you see a foul?" Off course the ref didn't see it and the ruling went to ES. Later ES was found gloating online about this unsportsmanlike conduct.

The rules that we currently play under are created to provide a framework for gentlemanly conduct and I don't believe that we can rule out ungentlemanly conduct. The official book of rules would be volumes and the game would become unfun (if there is such a word).

Second, I do not believe that we should adopt the U.S. Open rule regarding: Declaration of a foul with no repositioning of balls. That rule can lead to all kinds of uglyness. For example: My opponent has three balls covering his hole which he manages to get me behind. Jacked up trying to remove the balls I fall off my bridge and my hand accidently knocks all three balls away from his hole. FOUL, no repositioning... not a good rule. Worse, what if I do it on purpose and declare it to be an accident?

We need to keep in mind that these rules are meant to function in a Gentleman's environment. Let's all have some fun and enjoy the game. If I'm in action heads up and somebody acts like that I have the option of saying thanks but we're all done. If in a tournament I'm somewhat at the mercy of Sportsmanlike Conduct, and hopefully that will prevail.

These are just my thoughts. I hope they mean something to you.

Preacher, One Pocket .Org rules state that if you move multiple balls the balls will either be left in the moved position (your opponents option)or put back as closely as possible to the original position. The same rule applies even if it's an intentional accident.:eek:

I also don't believe that we should adopt the US Open rule regarding this type of an infraction.

Billy I.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

I didn't realize that the rules first mentioned gave the ability to your opponent to call an enforceable foul on you without you being able to contest it. My bad.

Dennis

Dennis, what would happen if you were shooting over the rack and moved one ball and your opponent called a foul and said that two balls moved? If you contested it on what basis would you win the decision? Looks like an impasse, in which case the decision most likely will go to the player claiming the infraction. Based off of the gentlemanly conduct principle. :eek:

We as players have the right to contest any ruling, that goes without saying. But to win the contested ruling is going to be difficult in most cases, especially with this particular rule in place. :(

Billy I.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Preacher, One Pocket .Org rules state that if you move multiple balls the balls will either be left in the moved position (your opponents option)or put back as closely as possible to the original position. The same rule applies even if it's an intentional accident.:eek:

I also don't believe that we should adopt the US Open rule regarding this type of an infraction.

Billy I.

Any time you play a player can call a foul and say you moved two ball three balls one ball. Whats the difference moveing one ball can be more important then 3 balls.

And Moving on or 5 balls if the correct call is made touching a ball is a foul that elemenats all the BS.

Because a player doesnt have control off hitting 2 or 3 balls or were the are going. So if its a Foul ithe balls that were moved can help the next shooter too.

They do not have too just help the person that fouled. People just keep looking at it one way.

An foul touching any ball or cue ball is a foulf. And you dont have too go through all that aguing and bullshit moveing balls back.

Or moveineing one ball back is all stupit. A foul is a foul and that again eliminates all the Bs. And the person moveing the ball back too were he wants it. To help his situation.

Wake up thier is only one good rule. A foul is a foul. And it will stop all the bickering and arguing and looking for a edge.

And if its a real fragrant foul it cost the player a ball. Not the game. And give the other player cue ball in hand.

Dont give away the game. Without the player making 8 balls. THats how you play the game. The other player still has too make 8 balls too win.

THats a pretty big penalty it cost the player one ball and cue ball in hand. And he still has too earn the game by making 8 balls.

This isnt guessing this is a good and fair rule.

In any pool game you cannot award a player the game. With out him making the requared balls too win the game. Its like in Baseball gining thee other team the game.

Because the pitcher is hitting the batters. Or a Double technicale foul you can take the player out off the game but you cannot give thee other team the game.

OR in pro football you can give them a touch down or but the ball on the one inch line. But you cannot give them the whole game.

THe only game the person can get the whole game or victory ie in Boxing because off a lowe blow. And he cannot continuie. But Eight ball the rules need to be changed drastickly.

Thier horrable thats all I can say. What is the rule on one pocket .org if you touch a object ball? And I would like too her a real good answer Why is it not a foulf when you touch a object ball. WHY

I no whoever has the tournement has thier rules. And thatswhat you play by. But those rules can be changed. Jut like they changed them from what they use too be.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
OK, I see your points.

However, what if you have your opponent in a pickle and you know it and he knows it. He gets ready to shoot a week safety and moves five balls, "by accident". There's NO WAY you or he could possibly know how those balls sat prior to the movement. I've seen some dastardly moves in all games of pool and just lean more toward all ball fouls, or at the very least, move one ball, reset it- move two balls or more and it's a foul. And just so you know, I'm talking about your opponent accidentally but quite apparently moving two or more balls.

I appreciate all of the perspectives.

Thanks,
JoeyA

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Any time you play a player can call a foul and say you moved two ball three balls one ball. Whats the difference moveing one ball can be more important then 3 balls.

And Moving on or 5 balls if the correct call is made touching a ball is a foul that elemenats all the BS.

Because a player doesnt have control off hitting 2 or 3 balls or were the are going. So if its a Foul ithe balls that were moved can help the next shooter too.

They do not have too just help the person that fouled. People just keep looking at it one way.

An foul touching any ball or cue ball is a foulf. And you dont have too go through all that aguing and bullshit moveing balls back.

Or moveineing one ball back is all stupit. A foul is a foul and that again eliminates all the Bs. And the person moveing the ball back too were he wants it. To help his situation.

Wake up thier is only one good rule. A foul is a foul. And it will stop all the bickering and arguing and looking for a edge.

And if its a real fragrant foul it cost the player a ball. Not the game. And give the other player cue ball in hand.

Dont give away the game. Without the player making 8 balls. THats how you play the game. The other player still has too make 8 balls too win.

THats a pretty big penalty it cost the player one ball and cue ball in hand. And he still has too earn the game by making 8 balls.

This isnt guessing this is a good and fair rule.

In any pool game you cannot award a player the game. With out him making the requared balls too win the game. Its like in Baseball gining thee other team the game.

Because the pitcher is hitting the batters. Or a Double technicale foul you can take the player out off the game but you cannot give thee other team the game.

OR in pro football you can give them a touch down or but the ball on the one inch line. But you cannot give them the whole game.

THe only game the person can get the whole game or victory ie in Boxing because off a lowe blow. And he cannot continuie. But Eight ball the rules need to be changed drastickly.

Thier horrable thats all I can say. What is the rule on one pocket .org if you touch a object ball? And I would like too her a real good answer Why is it not a foulf when you touch a object ball. WHY

I no whoever has the tournement has thier rules. And thatswhat you play by. But those rules can be changed. Jut like they changed them from what they use too be.

Was that Preacher REd? And whats the rule that the Us open has on moveing balls. Why go through all that bickering. Its a foul and the other persons shot.

Very simple and fair. All those great players didnt play it a foul for all those years because they didnt no what they were doing.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Dennis, what would happen if you were shooting over the rack and moved one ball and your opponent called a foul and said that two balls moved? If you contested it on what basis would you win the decision? Looks like an impasse, in which case the decision most likely will go to the player claiming the infraction. Based off of the gentlemanly conduct principle. :eek:

We as players have the right to contest any ruling, that goes without saying. But to win the contested ruling is going to be difficult in most cases, especially with this particular rule in place. :(

Billy I.
Bill,

I knew I was misunderstanding something. Are you saying this occurs before the shot but while lining up in position to take the shot? Or does it occur on your forward stroke when the cueball has been struck and balls are in motion?

Do we differentiate between "in the process of shooting" and "getting in position to shoot"? How is "in the process of shooting" defined for purposes of the U.S. Open rule? Is it the forward motion of your cue towards the cueball? Is it lining up to get in position to shoot? Either way I don't like the rule, as mentioned previously it invites larceny.

JoeyA said:

As to your question Bill, I'll answer both ways: If you were lining up in position to shoot but hadn't yet struck the cueball and you moved a ball, I would bring it to your attention and you would have to stop and we'd discuss whether or not I wanted it replaced where it had been. Of course, I'm talking about us gambling, not in a tournament.

If you moved a ball or balls on your shot (forward motion of the cue & cueball struck) then we would have to talk about replacing them unless they hit other balls or the cueball hit one of the moved balls. If the cueball hit any ball set in motion by you then it would be a cueball foul. Again, I'm talking about us gambling.

To answer your question relative to the U.S. Open rule: there would obviously be a problem if you claim to have moved one ball and your opponent claims you moved more than one. Either one of you could be wrong. The shooter is quite often looking at the cueball and target object ball and doesn't always even know that other balls were moved. I have had this happen to me and the player asked the sideline for an opinion and several confirmed to him that several balls moved. It can happen without it being dishonest.

If you are playing an unscrupulous person who obviously saw only one ball move but claimed two moved then that's another story. I really wouldn't know what to do in a tournament situation. Gambling, I would just avoid a person who has a habit of making calls like that. But, I also take very seriously my responsibility at the table to not move balls, knowing the arguments that can ensue.

I do think that the player committing the infraction should not be given the benefit of the doubt, if any exists. That's the price a player pays for being clumsy enough to bring this situation about in the first place. The player in the chair, if gambling, should get the benefit of any doubt about ball repositioning or anything else. I'm careful when I shoot so I'm usually the person in the chair that this happens to.

Dennis

P.S. Bill, let me ask you your ruling on a situation that came up once in a game, gambling. The player was jacked up over an object ball which was frozen (and called frozen) to the cueball. Both players agreed it was frozen to the cueball. The player, on his backswing, moved the object ball away from the cueball and struck the cueball going forward for his shot. His opponent called a cueball foul. How would you rule on this? I was a spectator and both players asked me for my opinion. I said that as the cueball was frozen to the object ball they were to be treated as one ball. Since the object ball moved it was then a cueball foul. The shooter claimed that the cueball hadn't moved so it couldn't be a cueball foul. This was 25 years ago and I didn't really know the answer. I don't remember what they ended up doing but I have always wondered about it. Thanks for your reply.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4MYxj4NbbR4PaHB4TaPF3plpW4hYxj4hYxO4ibbR4icpv4kaHB4kbbA2uClB@[/CUETABLE]

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Moving Balls - Gambling

Moving Balls - Gambling

Great thread and the tournament rules are confusing.

In the rooms I grew up in and played around Los Angeles, the shooter always took the worst of it when moving object balls, and they should.

Since you were the one who moved the ball(s), you could not complain much, even though the ball in question was usually placed by your opponent in an even tougher spot than the original location. I have seen balls placed several inches away from their starting point.

What can you do? Just grin and bear it. Your fault in the first place.