what to do?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Huh?.....Just leave him the free 9ball, with a good chance to get position for some kind of a bank for a second shot - why in the world would you do that when there are much better options? - here are two of them: Soft roll the cueball three rails to the 9ball like in my first diagram - Or as in my second layout, shoot the 3-rail billiard, aiming to hit the long rail right behind the 9ball - you could shoot this at soft-medium speed, or medium speed - possibly with a result similar to what I've displayed...even if you dont hit the rail perfectly behind the 9 - any hit on the 9 will be more likely to not leave a shot, than to leave a shot....all experienced One Pocket players have shot both of these shots a million times.

- Ghost

PS, But the way treeman laid out his wei diagram, the 9 can still be easily rolled into off just the foot rail - I'm just assuming, and basing my shot choices, in that he didn't display his actual situation accurately, and that soft one-rail kick to the 9 wasn't available, as he said.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW3BQwL4CAMI2DUGd4EALp3FWkM3GNmL4HSLL4IYmi4JVNL3KTyM3LKkL4MPBL4NLyM3OHyK3PTsm3Qchs3Shwa3kTsm3kbnV4kPpr4kYmq4kcHy@[/CUETABLE]
Ghosty, Ghosty, Ghosty,

Finally, the voice of reason. As bad as I kick I would shoot this before I left him a shot at it. If I hit the 9 it's a good safe with no advantage given. If I foul on this shot then I still have a 5-4 lead. If I leave him a shot at the 9 and he makes it I have a 6-5 lead.

For those advocating shooting the 4 and leaving a shot at the 9: where's the 4 going to magically go? You could easily leave a cross-corner or a straight-back on it, all depending on the roll of the table. I'd bank the 3 cross-corner before I ever rolled into the 4 ball.

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty, Ghosty, Ghosty,

Finally, the voice of reason. As bad as I kick I would shoot this before I left him a shot at it. If I hit the 9 it's a good safe with no advantage given. If I foul on this shot then I still have a 5-4 lead. If I leave him a shot at the 9 and he makes it I have a 6-5 lead.

For those advocating shooting the 4 and leaving a shot at the 9: where's the 4 going to magically go? You could easily leave a cross-corner or a straight-back on it, all depending on the roll of the table. I'd bank the 3 cross-corner before I ever rolled into the 4 ball.

Dennis

Finally the voice of reason. Why give a shot to make the 9 ball ? :confused:
Rod.
PS, If I didn't want to kick at the 9 ball, I'd rub off the 3 ball and roll to the rail.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
bstroud said:
I'm really with Artie on this one. Roll down on the 4 ball. Let him have the 9.
If he can shoot the straight in 9 and get position, I would sure like to see it.

Let him have the 9 ball. If he rolls at and makes it look at what a bad place he has put himself in. He might not even shoot at the 9 ball. He is behind and if he could shoot the 4 in and leave the cue ball on the end rail that might be a better choice to get the 4 in action.

Bill Stroud

Here's the approximate leave, after the guy rolls at the 4ball...

I'm not in any "bad place", because...I don't have to/plan to roll the 9 in - it's a hanger shooting it rail first...and here's my very possible position for banking the 3ball next >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW3BQwL4CAMI2DUnO4EALp3FWkM3GNmL4HSLL4IaDr4JVNL3KTyM3LKkL4MPBL4NLyM3OHyK2PREe3Qchs3Shwa4daDr4ddGs2kREe4kcgK4kaDg3kDIr3kbiK4kJoK@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty, Ghosty, Ghosty,

Finally, the voice of reason.

Dennis

Yeah, Dennis....I'm amazed that they want to give the guy the 9ball in that spot....and let me just say that I'd love to gamble that situation, and alternate games - they can leave me the 9ball every time, and then they can shoot behind my safety.

- Ghost

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i was alittle intimitated to say that i would try to move the 9 or get behind even with the one rail kick or 3 rail kick
rods shot would also serve the same pupose
why give him a ball that he should make???

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Artie Bodendorfer said:
...If anything that I would shoot before a trick shot. I would shoot off the right side off the 4 ball and come 2 rails sown too the bottom rail. And thats not to bad off a shot. ...
The more I look at the layout, the more I like your suggestion of CB 2 rails off the 4 ball, bringing the CB down to the foot rail. If it were easy to leave the CB on top of the 4 ball, making it difficult for the opponent to bridge, it's a great shot. Otherwise, why give him a free ball? Then he'd only need three. The 9-ball is an easy shot, especially rail first.

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
i was alittle intimitated to say that i would try to move the 9 or get behind even with the one rail kick or 3 rail kick
rods shot would also serve the same pupose
why give him a ball that he should make???

Its very hard too shoot a bad shot when you get to put the balls were you want. Im surprised you didnt draw the cue ball and breack up the stack and run out.

That can be bone too. But thats not a bad shot. One little detail you put the cue ball were you wanted it. What if you are jacket up over the ball snce you put the balls were you want dont I get too do the same thing?

bstroud

Verified Member
I really don't like the 2 rail kick on the 9. It is just too easy to make a mistake.
A scratch, not hit the 9. Even if you do hit it the next shot you will find yourself on the end rail with a really tough position to get out of.

Will you make the rail first on the 9 every time? What if you hit it a little thick or worst yet a little thin? What if you just hang it in the hole? Look at the next shot you would be looking at.

Or would you be tempted to just shoot it straight in?
Then you are in real trouble. Remember it is a long way to the 9. Things happen.

In this particular case I think it is better to wait and see if your opponent really can make the 9 and get where he has a cross corner bank. Percentages tell me he will get just one ball and will not be in a position to gain any leverage on the next shot.

I shoot at white flags but I'm not sure this is one of them.

Bill Stroud

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Gotta Kick Softly

Gotta Kick Softly

sappo said:
This is a simple 2 rail kick into the 9 ball. Play into your side rail down into the bottom rail and softly roll into the 9 ball.

Yesterday in the 9th post of this thread i suggested kicking softly 2 rails into 9 ball and i still beleive it is the correct shot. Today i went to the pool room and set the shot up and made it 3 times in a row. I am not an A player and im surprised the Bill feels its risky.

Why give your opponent a free shot not only to make a ball but if he does makes it you now give him the opportunity to to get a move up on you also.

Based on the score im convinced this is the correct shot. Keith

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
The more I look at the layout, the more I like your suggestion of CB 2 rails off the 4 ball, bringing the CB down to the foot rail. If it were easy to leave the CB on top of the 4 ball, making it difficult for the opponent to bridge, it's a great shot. Otherwise, why give him a free ball? Then he'd only need three. The 9-ball is an easy shot, especially rail first.

Doc[/QUOTE

That was my second choice only problem is his next shot. If he splits the 3 and 5 on the next shot and leaves you on the end rail and all 4 balls will be in line to his pocket.

And if the 3 or 5 or 1 line up at the same angle with the nine ball the game is almost over. Becuse the 3 and 5 will ho too his side off the lable.

Belive you do not want to shoot next after he splits the 3 and the 5 and
goes too the end rail. It will be brutell. If you shoot it you will see the resules.

Thats why I realy didnt like the shot. The safe is ok. But I cant over come his next shot.

treeMan

Verified Member
Among the meager options, I think I like the two rail soft kick to the nine best.

I would hit it leaning heavily to the safe side, and be very willing to take a scratch, to make sure I get (and stay) UNDER the 9 ball.

Value-wise, I'm equating taking a scratch here with giving up the free shot at the 9 ball. If you agree with that then the kick is the right shot because you don't "have" to scratch and could potentially force the oppo to move the 9; imho.

thanks to all for the discussion.

tree

sappo said:
This is a simple 2 rail kick into the 9 ball. Play into your side rail down into the bottom rail and softly roll into the 9 ball.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Itsa good shot and not that hard too execuite but its what will happen too you on your next shot is a big problem.