Practice with Purpose Part 1

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
gingerbread_man said:
If Billy or anyone for that matter can prove anything thing I have stated is wrong I will one up you and NEVER post on here again
Sorry, but that comment was too funny to pass up after looking at your join date and post count, it's kind of a empty threat, huh?:D
ginger.jpg

One Pocket John

Verified Member
bstroud said:
John,

I am certainly not suggesting that you start to learn pool with banks. What I am saying is that if you already play one pocket well you can benefit from the practice regime I recommend.

Bill Stroud

Hey Bill, I've been playing pool since 1963. But never considered practicing banks. By that I mean putting 9 balls on the table and trying to bank them all in.

Been playing one pocket for approx. 20 years. I really like the game. Had the pleasure of watching Billy I. and Louie Roberts play one pocket at the Sports Center in St. Louis a lonnnng time ago.

Started practicing bank pool yesterday and also that game where you place 9 balls on the table and carom the OB off the cue ball into a pocket.

I agree with you. I would never suggest that a person learn to play bank pool until he/she learns how to pocket balls. Sorry if it sounded that way.

John
St. Louis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket John said:
Hey Bill, I've been playing pool since 1963. But never considered practicing banks. By that I mean putting 9 balls on the table and trying to bank them all in.

Been playing one pocket for approx. 20 years. I really like the game. Had the pleasure of watching Billy I. and Louie Roberts play one pocket at the Sports Center in St. Louis a lonnnng time ago.

Started practicing bank pool yesterday and also that game where you place 9 balls on the table and carom the OB off the cue ball into a pocket.

I agree with you. I would never suggest that a person learn to play bank pool until he/she learns how to pocket balls. Sorry if it sounded that way.

John
St. Louis

John, Keep up the good work. Practice banks hitting them firm and also pocket speed. Pocket speed is different and important for one pocket.
Rod.:)

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Well, I would like to thank Bill Stroud for posting these first 2 highly informational topics.

As with anything, people will find ways to argue over them, it's no use getting into that stuff.

The information he's posted is of excellent quality - especially for those less experienced players.

Of course, not everyone learns the same way, so what worked for Bill, may not work for someone else; but its the duty of the student to try these various methods of learning and find what works best for him.

Personally, I can't wait for sections 2 and 3, Mr. Stroud.

treeMan

Verified Member
I also wanted to thank Bill for his well thought out and well written post on learning.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

tree

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I find it very difficult to play and win One Pocket without practicing banks.

I think Mr. Stroud should be complimented on introducing his versions of how to improve your game by practicing what he thinks is important.

I agree. I also think that practicing banks sharpens your eye for the edge of the ball. I've always been able to shoot a little straighter after practicing or playing banks for a few hours. :cool:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
stljohnny said:
Well, I would like to thank Bill Stroud for posting these first 2 highly informational topics.

As with anything, people will find ways to argue over them, it's no use getting into that stuff.

The information he's posted is of excellent quality - especially for those less experienced players.

Of course, not everyone learns the same way, so what worked for Bill, may not work for someone else; but its the duty of the student to try these various methods of learning and find what works best for him.

I am realy surprised that people would go along with all this garbage. And realy makes me wonder are people realy capable off learning and seeing what the game reay is.

But its nice to give good and nice replies. And too be couties. But to belive and go along with something that is so incorect. Makes me feel sorry and in dought. Will they ever see and realy learn too play. the game the correct way.

By choosing the wrong way. Realy leaves me in dought and wonder. About peoples ability to see and what chance do they realy have too realy learn a understand they game and what they are doing.

I am real surprised and disapointed what I am hering. And all this does is take me back too the days when I wouldnt show or tell anyone anything. Bedause people are not ready for handaling and understanding the game.

And just let everyone do waht they want. And not learn what the should no to play better.

And they keep playing thier little games and going through the motions

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
stljohnny said:

I'd like to second this

Keep 'em comin' Mr Stroud. Whether right or wrong, whether one agrees or disagrees, the idea is to consider all then throw out what may or may not be

Looking forward to more info Mr Stroud

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I do not practice banks too often but consider myself fair at making most bank shots. I know one I need to work on is my 2 railer and controlling the rock from a distance.

As for straight pool I rarely play the game but was so frustrated I could not run 20 balls, just 20 balls! I then proceeded to run 38 which is my high run, I could have gotten into the 40's and perhaps 50's but I was trying to play the game somewhat correctly and did not take the hangers but tried to invent a break shot as I was getting close to the end of the rack.

I know my weakness is still shot making as my moving is a couple balls above it so I think when the shot making catches up to it then I will be a good one pocket player. I consider myself savvy but realize I have so much to learn, so even if I am not playing everyday and only 2-3 days out of the week.

When I am there I still will observe even if I am not hitting a ball. I believe being in the poolroom and really watching better one pocket players is very helpful. I imagine what shots they will shoot or ways to get out of the traps. It takes a bunch of things to be a solid one pocket player I realized, you need to do all things well and get rid of your weaknesses one at a time.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
From what I read, Bill was suggesting two helpful things to practice.

Banking can be huge.. a good banker can set it in the pocket and leave you bad, or can make it and run out. A bad banker can risk a big sell-out(if they go for it). I've won plenty of games by the other player thinking they pulled a fast one on me, only to bank the winner.

Straight pool.. kinda speaks for itself. Goal is to run, run, run(or leave nothing whatsoever).
For a while, I tried to get away from banking and practiced just making shots. My banking started to suffer for it. I then realized that I was trying to get away from my strength, so I stopped dead in my tracks. Now I practice banking more. I stopped setting up so many regular shots and switched back to playing barbox 8 with myself, because it is very difficult to simulate the range of shots(speed, leaves, breakouts, etc) that come up in an actual game. All in all, what I've figured out is:

Concentrate on what you're good at, practice what you're not so good at and never consider the game over until the last ball falls.
But I'm still a hack, so what do I know. :confused:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
I find it very difficult to play and win One Pocket without practicing banks.

I think Mr. Stroud should be complimented on introducing his versions of how to improve your game by practicing what he thinks is important.

I agree. I also think that practicing banks sharpens your eye for the edge of the ball. I've always been able to shoot a little straighter after practicing or playing banks for a few hours. :cool:

Let me tell you something so all this bullshit gets washet. Because ehis is all becomeing bull shit. And I do not hold back I dont care who it is. I bring it wright out. I dont stroke people. Youre first sentence and statement.

Is not even about one pocket. It applies to all games and has been said a million times . And Fferry went into complete detail on banks and what you need to learn to bank.

And howe too shoot the banks and what too practice and played and knoes more about banks then anyone. Then I her some stupit thing I player says that couldnt make it playing pool.

THan I her another reply howe important banks is too win at playing ome pocket. And I was the worst banker out off any great and even good one pocket player that played.

And beat the best. And I read this garbage that some one wrote and gets verified.

What has this become a kindergarden class.

Every body that playes any game above avarage knowes that in all games you have too learn too shoot Bank play position learn the correct shotts moves and agles.

And you have too learn too run out. And you do that by shooting and playing good position. And shooting the correct shot.

For your reply you have too learn how to so everything to win and be a great player. .

And everyone knowes you have to learn too shoot bank learn the shots. And you even have too learn what speed too shoot all your shots. You have to learn how too breack up balls how to play position how too play combinations kiss shoots throw shots.

Playing position off balls. Kick shots. Rail first shots and a few thousand more things too learn. To say you have too learn banks too win. Is a empty statment. And incomplete. To say we have too learn too bank too win.

Everyting helps you to win. Thier are hundreds off things that make you win. And one helps the other. Abd you cannot single out one thing. Beause you have too learn them all yoo win.

I have one thousands off games without making a bank. Thier are way more important factores too win playing one pocket.

What ever you learn and do better will help you win. Because the more you learn and the better you do everything the better you will plsy.

Practicing every thing about the game will help..And too realy learn to bank great. Will help you plaing banks for money. Because you win by making more banks then thee other person.

Everything Freddy put in his book on banks will help you. By someone saying
they find it difficullte to play and win without practicing banks.

How diffucute would it be to win if you dont practice making balls and position. Or not knoweing what shot too shoot. Witch one would it be the most diffuculte too win without with?

Everyone knowes you should practice everything and the sharper you get in your exicoution too win. You need to learn everything if you want too be a good player. Learn and practice everything.

THe better you play and exicute the more you will win.

Do you think If I played some one one pocket that banks better then me and I play two balls better then him that he would win If I play him even and my banks dont count

Or if I play some one that playes me even. Can he play me I have too make 8 balls without any banks. And all he has too do is bank two balls before I make 8 balls. Do you think he will win?

And to make a statment like you did and repeat what someone else said practice banks first to learn to play one pocket. Is a empty and a kindergarden stae ment.

When the practice and learning apples too everything in the game too win. And but the emphises on one thing like that is the most important thing and thats why you should learn to do and practice first.

A person who will never learn the game will make a statement like thst. To put all the empises on banks like this is great if you are going too play bankpool for money or bank pool in a tournement.

But not like its in the off the list in one pocket. Its part off one pocket and should be learned like 100 other things. But you do not have too be a good player too win playing one pockt

And you have too learn everything about the game and how to execuite everything if you want too be a good players.

A great players is a combination off doing everythig good. Not just one aspect odd the game. .

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
I do not practice banks too often but consider myself fair at making most bank shots. I know one I need to work on is my 2 railer and controlling the rock from a distance.

As for straight pool I rarely play the game but was so frustrated I could not run 20 balls, just 20 balls! I then proceeded to run 38 which is my high run, I could have gotten into the 40's and perhaps 50's but I was trying to play the game somewhat correctly and did not take the hangers but tried to invent a break shot as I was getting close to the end of the rack.

I know my weakness is still shot making as my moving is a couple balls above it so I think when the shot making catches up to it then I will be a good one pocket player. I consider myself savvy but realize I have so much to learn, so even if I am not playing everyday and only 2-3 days out of the week.

When I am there I still will observe even if I am not hitting a ball. I believe being in the poolroom and really watching better one pocket players is very helpful. I imagine what shots they will shoot or ways to get out of the traps. It takes a bunch of things to be a solid one pocket player I realized, you need to do all things well and get rid of your weaknesses one at a time.[/QUOTE

Now what Lenny is saying is correct and makes sense. And the things he says are correct.

Practicing straight pool is the best practice thier is for all games. Excepte for playing bank pool in tournaments and money bank pool games.

But for all games ecpecialy position making balls breacking up balls running balls thinking straight pool is number one for practice. Unless you want too practice and learn a spicific shot or mone.

Straight pool does not do much for bank pool. And Bank pool does not do much for sratght pool. And you have hit the first thing you should learn and most Important shot makeing.

If you cant mak a shot youre moves youre position nothing wii matter. The number one thing too learn and practice for all pool games excepte banks it too learn too make balls.

Number two is playing position Number three is moves number 4 is percentages what too shoot and not too shoot.Number 5 speed controll of object balls. 6 Combinations Banks kiss shots kick shots locking up the game End play.Last ball wins game.

THese are all important too learn. This is not the exacte order. But the 3 most important things to learn. Making balls position and learning what shots too shoot and moves.

And in one pocket I would but this in the top 5 too learn is the breack.

Lenny is saying the correct things too do and learn. Not just for himself but for everyone.

Very strong and powerfull WAtching what good players shoot and do and how they play position.

Watch what they are shooting and ask yourself what you would do. And try too figure out why thier shoot is different then youres.

I have said it millions off tines. Record in your mind what the great players do and learn too do the same thing. And if you lear and do what they do you will be as good as them.

A great player is a great role modle to menorize and learn too do the same thing they do. Another words copy and record everything they do.

And practice and learn tell you no everything the no and do. And then the executing part will decide if you will be as great as them or better.

Practice what you are weak at. And change your weak moves for thier strong moves. And whatever they can do and you cant do. That is what you need too practice and learn.

You have a good out look on the game. Youre Ideas are good and correct. The things you are looking too learn and practice and correct are good.

Youre way off watching good players and learning by what they shoor and learn. Is correct and very strong.

Practicing straight pool is very good practicing your shots very good seeing and changing your weaknesses.very good. I do not see one thing on your whole post that is not good or you shouldnt do because they are all good and correct.

You have come a long way sice last year. And you have learned or else you could not say what you are saying. And I see it. You make me feel good because you learned the correct things you needed too learn.

And you no what you still have too learn and practice and change. And you no thier is more that you have learn and practice.

Tell your weaknesses become strong. All the things you have to learn and no too be the greatest that you can be and you can do it. And it showes.

You have made my day. Because of what you wrote and what you wrote is what people should learn and do. You are going iin the right direction. I see by what you wright that the stupitity that is written does not rub off on you.

And If one person learns and is smart enough too see the difference between what to learn and who too watch and what too practice. Thats a lot too learn.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Thanks Artie for the compliments. I try to keep sharp when life does not get in the way of pool or I cannot play as much. I know you still sweat the games when your around it like a hawk, I have watched you watch them and I am sure it keeps your mind sharp for the game doing that. I will see you and make introductions at the US Open One Pocket if your there. ;)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
Thanks Artie for the compliments. I try to keep sharp when life does not get in the way of pool or I cannot play as much. I know you still sweat the games when your around it like a hawk, I have watched you watch them and I am sure it keeps your mind sharp for the game doing that. I will see you and make introductions at the US Open One Pocket if your there. ;)

Thanks for talking too me. But I realy see the difference in you buy what you are saying.

Its like in a game I cant say anything about a player tell I see him play. Or by talking to him. And by heringhis answer and what he says.

THe hard part is that I cant shoot no more. I even no why but I cannot correct it. To make it work.

And when people realy dont no you or seen you play and I cant make a ball no more my credability goes down. And they realy cant see and dont understand what I am saying.

And when the see me play now the say someone that cant make a ball that they gan beat.And they see that whole person ae being helplless and doesnt no what he is talkinh about.

That doesnt stop me because I no and the people who new me no. And The players like Varner.

And Hopkines who wouldnt play. When he was playing.

And Buddy Hall. The players back in my time all new me and whatever I said about a shot or what too shoot was never qouistioned by a player.

And no player said after I said what the correct shot is. They would shoot something different.

They new I new the correct shot to shoot. And thats why they never qouistioned it.

Today nobody realy nowes me its a different generation. And I didnt play in Tournements.

And if you see someone who cant make a ball any more. And you dont no him and never seen him play when he could play.

You would he doughtfull and sceptical yourself.

And If I dont see someone play and see what the so and shoot at the table I have nothing too go by.

And as far as the internet.I do not go by who it is I do not play favorits or because I no them Or because we are friiends.

If I cant see what they are taliking about in a picture yhen I go by what they say. I give my opinion or shot or what tio doby what I her.

If the say something that is Incorrect I will say what is correct. And why. But I figured that if I explain the shot and the reason.

That they could see it. But thats not the way it is. And too pick another shot over what I explained. The only answer I can come up with is the dont under stand it.

And if they dont understand it. They wont pick my shot. And that showes they dont belive it either.

And the go by someone else. Because it sounds more proffisinal Or its wrote better. Maybe because they even say it in a nicer way.

All I can say by picking over what I say or the reasons I pick the shot. You are not learning the correct shot. And youre game and thinking will not improve.

If you practice from now too domes day. And why would they not want too learn the corredt answer from someone who knows.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Artie,
Sorry, but only a few players think like you. When you and Billy I and Freddy speak we all listen.

I don't understand much of what you say, but I can tell when you are insulting me or someone else.

When Bill Stroud wants to post about what he thinks is a good way to practice One Pocket, it is his opinion. I respect that. If there are questions about his opinion, I will question that also.

What I don't understand is why you are so upset about. What is with you?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
Artie,
Sorry, but only a few players think like you. When you and Billy I and Freddy speak we all listen.

I don't understand much of what you say, but I can tell when you are insulting me or someone else.

When Bill Stroud wants to post about what he thinks is a good way to practice One Pocket, it is his opinion. I respect that. If there are questions about his opinion, I will question that also.

What I don't understand is why you are so upset about. What is with you?[/QUOTE

I do what I do for the game that I no . Ido not pick out people too pick on or talk about.

I do respond when I her or read something about the game that is not true and does not help or improve the game.

I stand up for the game and defend it. The game can not reply.

To something that is not true and does not help the game.

And teach and say things that are not going to make the game any better.

And the worst part is to get someone too think a say what they should do

That will never work and no player has ever done. Even the shoots too shoot. If learning is teaching people the wrong things.

I am against it. And if you show and explain it and people try to reinforce it . I will say what the truth is.

Lots off people say things that are not true or in correct. But the are kidding or just making a joke out off it.

They do not continue with what they no they are doing. I have posted and wrote too much about a game I no . And that is what I no. And if I dont agree with it.

And I have put my knowledge on her for some time. I have said things about the game to help people.

And That I would hane never said. And that nobody else hae said or agree. And they said everyting they could so people would not belive the truth..

And they said it can not be done. And thier is no such thing. And thier is no correct way too play one pocket.

You cant play no mistake one pocket. And I can go on forever. Thier might be a thousand posts or more. JUst go back and you will see. It did not bother bother me.

I keepte posting what the people or who said it did not matter . My mind was on the game.

And even now I still remember. it doesnt bother me and it didnt bother me then. Because if you can let go off whatever someone says. You still have your power.

And you ask me why I say what I say. Its because if someone says the wrong thing and people start doing them What do you think will happen.

If teachers were teaching our kids the wrong thing in school what would you do. JUst let it happen and go along with it. You probable would.

I would say and do whatever I could to have them teaching them the wrong things and the wrong way.

Look what hittler preached. And Stalen and the people belived in what the said and what the people should do.

And what happened too the people because the wrong things that were said the people belived. It could have all been stoped. If the people would have done the wright thing.

But people are sheep and they dont no what they are doing. THey are responsable but they follow the leader.Lots off people follow and do the wrong thing .

Not because they want too but because the follow and do what some one says.

Thier are gangs all over is what the are doing wright? Why are they doing it because they are following someone. Thats telling them what to do. And some off them even no its wrong.

Whenever you her me reply Iys about what a person says. And if I no its incorect I reply. It doesnot not matter who it is I do not pick my spots or people to pick on.

I donot single out any one person. I reply on what I read. And if it wrong. I will say its wrong. And I am not one sided. If you are wright I will say you are wright. If you are wrong then I say you are wrong.

And I reply too what I no and have done and experencet. I am not guessing.

Should I I just let something go that is not correct or should I expose the liy or the truth.

If you new the correct answer and someone says Eferen never won a tournement. Or Eferen won by playing safe. And her is how you do it. Dont shoot at no shots unless you can run 8 and out.

If some one says something that is not true. and people dont say anything what happines.

I sugjest that you see what started the fier And dont just look at one side. Look at both sides and see what was said too get those replies.

And if you think the person is replying that way.

But what if what that person says is not true and the other person is defending the truth and what he has said And explained it.

Some one comes out off the wood work and makes up all kinds off storys to get a reaction . And make up things that are not correct and good for the game.

I will give my opinion. I will not excepte the wrong answer over the correct answer. I can not let it go without responding too what they wrote.

And I have nothing against the person. But what he wrights that is what I am responding too.

I read the posts and I read what he wrote. And if you want to excepte and belive all that crap its ok with me.

But I do not agree with it and its not onepocket.

And for someone to wright what they want that is not the truth but some off the wall thihgs they think off and make up. Because they feel like wrighting something. Wright anything you like if it has some truth and marit to it.

Even all those people you say you beat when did you beat them when you robed the graves.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I do what I do for the game that I no . Ido not pick out people too pick on or talk about.

I do respond when I her or read something about the game that is not true and does not help or improve the game.

I stand up for the game and defend it. The game can not reply...

Artie:

You need to write three sentences together and then push the "enter" key. That way it organizes your sentences into paragraphs and it makes it easier to understand what you are trying to communicate.

Also, instead of arguing about other guys approaches to the game, it would be cool if you write your own series of lessons on one pocket. You could start with the break, the answer to the break, and so forth.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
"I read the posts and I read what he wrote. And if you want to excepte and belive all that crap its ok with me."

Artie, what the hell do you mean, it's 'ok with me'? After all those long and abusive posts, now you're saying it's ok with you? That's pretty hard to follow. You didn't learn this stuff from Dale Carnegie, did you? Fooey! :eek:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
bstroud said:
I am asked all the time. “How do I practice for one pocket?” “What shots should I practice?” What moves do I practice?” If you have the patience to follow along I will teach you.

When I was young and in high school I was forced to take Latin. I hated it but one part of it has stayed with me all my life. That part was Caesars’ account of his many battles. His most famous book C. IVLI CAESARIS COMMENTARIORVM DE BELLO GALLICO LIBER PRIMUS tells all about his campaign against the Galls. The first line reads “Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres.” Translated that means “Gall is divided into three parts. The point to this story is:

Pool is divided into TWO parts. Practice and playing. Practice is for learning. Playing is for winning. If you learn nothing else from this exercise- learn that. It is the most important thing about pool you will ever learn.

All the time I see players practicing one pocket against themselves. They shoot at one pocket and then the other pocket. This is absolutely the wrong was to practice. Why? Because it is impossible to develop any leverage against ones’ self. Your mind simply won’t permit it.

How then do you practice for one pocket productively? First and foremost you learn to play Bank Pool.
“Why do I need to do that?” you might ask. In a single word. Confidence.

Many years ago I was at the Johnston City Tournament. There was a big ring 10 ball game going on with Jimmy Moore, Eddy Taylor and other great players. Alfie Taylor was in with Eddy. For over one hour Eddy never had an open shot (he was following Moore) and they only had about three barrels left.

Finally Jimmy Moore missed the 10 ball. He left it frozen to the end rail and left the cue ball out near the side pocket. Eddy had only an end rail bank but he could not reach it right handed. He walked to the other side of the table and left handed warped it straight back into the corner. Now THAT is confidence.

There will be many times playing one pocket that you will face a bank of some kind that is a must make. Miss it and you lose. That is why you need confidence.

I know Bank Pool is a difficult and frustrating game for some players but if you do what I say you will learn to love it. This is an exercise I learned from Eddy Taylor.

Rack 10 balls. Break. Pick up the cue ball and choose any bank. Shoot the bank and play position for another bank. If you miss the bank or do not get the position you were trying for, set it up again. If you make it and get position keep shooting. When you miss pick up the cue ball again and continue.

Now comes the most important part. Set a goal for yourself. Two in a row. Three in a row. Eight in a row. Always have a goal when you practice and keep moving it forward to challenge yourself. Without a goal the mind will get bored. Practice will become useless.

This kind of healthy practice trains your subconscious mind for success. It convinces your subconscious that you can indeed perform that task ahead of you. It produces confidence. Now when you have a straight back bank for all the marbles and have bet the room rent, you can make it.

Now that we have conquered Bank Pool let’s move on the next thing we need to practice. Straight Pool. I can hear the groans already. I don’t particularly like it either but no other pool games teaches you to run balls in the upper pockets better or faster.

Set up a break shot that you like and start to run balls. Once again set a goal. Ten no count. Thirty no count. Fifty no count. It doesn’t matter except that it in right for you. Don’t set the goal so high that you always fail. First set it where you can succeed and gradually move it up. It is necessary to teach your subconscious that you can accomplish what you are trying to do. That is how you build confidence.

After an hour or two of that I’m sure you are ready for something else. Let’s take a look at how you should approach one pocket. I believe there are two distinct types of one pocket players. Aggressive and Passive. It depends on your personality, the conditions under which you learned to play, your confidence level and a variety of other factors.

I am an aggressive player. I want to win by running balls, making banks and shooting shots. That is my personality. That is who I am in all walks of life. Every time I go to the table my first thought is to get a ball in my pocket and also get position on another ball so I have a change to run out. If I cannot accomplish my first priority then I try to move as many balls as possible toward my pocket. If I can’t do that then I try to move one ball toward my pocket and leave the cue ball as difficult as possible.

Since this thread is about how to learn through practice let’s take a look at the worst case scenario and how to deal with it. To me at least the shot I hate most in one pocket is the Duck-The totally defensive shot. No chance to be creative. All you can do is hide the cue ball and stay alive for another inning. This is one of the hardest shots to practice because many times you are thinning a ball or caroming off a ball before you can hide the cue ball.

Over the years I have found a few ways to practice these very difficult shots. Some of you have probably heard of a game called English Billiards. It is played on a 6x12 snooker table with two cue balls and a red ball. You make points with billiards or caroms and also what the Brits call the inoff. The inoff is what is most important here. You score an inoff by shooting your cue ball into one of the other balls and making it go into the pocket.

How can that be remotely important to one pocket? Because once you have mastered the inoff into that pocket you have mastered the inoff NOT into the pocket. Through practice and experience you can carom the cue ball off another ball and around and behind your opponent’s ball that is very near their pocket

Think that’s not powerful? Let me tell you a little story. Everyone knows who won the most one pocket tournaments at Johnson City. Boston Shorty Not many people know who was second. Not Clem, nor RA not even Taylor. It was Luther Lassiter. He didn’t play one pocket at all but he did one thing very well. He would leave the cue ball in his opponents pocket better and more often than anyone else. He would make you shoot your own ball away from your own pocket. If you learn the inoff, you can do it too.

End of Part 1

Bill Stroud

Bill, good stuff. I am certainly not a player of your caliber or experience, but I would like to think that I have a thoughtful approach to the game (and two years of Latin, courtesy of the Jesuits :) And so, I would pick a couple of nits with you.

First off, I believe there is great value in practicing 1pocket by yourself. While I agree that you can't gain leverage on yourself, I do believe that practicing your break and, more importantly escaping the break, is something you can significantly improve by solo practice. Maybe playing out further than the first few shots does lose value and your thoughts apply, but I feel you can greatly improve your performance in the opening sequences by practicing them by yourself.

I would also disagree about the bank pool part, only to the extent that I would place practicing/playing 14.1 as being "first and foremost." Almost inevitably, you're going to get an opportunity against most players and maximizing that opportunity is where you win games. And so I would place that as numero uno. I think the 10 ball bank position exercise is for the more advanced player. That's it.

I would like hear your thoughts on the balance between practicing and playing. In my experience I have found that you can practice too much and that you need to have some parity between "live fire" experience and the firing range. What are your thoughts?

Lou Figueroa