How Long?

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I know most of you have played one pocket for many years... I have been playing at it for 3... and it seems the more I learn the less I know...

Just how long did it take for you to really think you were any good at the game?

Bille

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wgcp said:
I know most of you have played one pocket for many years... I have been playing at it for 3... and it seems the more I learn the less I know...

Just how long did it take for you to really think you were any good at the game?

Bille

Ask the GHOAST .

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Ask the GHOAST .

THe more you learn the more you will no because you are adding not subtracting.

And if you can answer your qouistions too youreself what too shoot and why you are shooting that shot.

You are going in the wright direction.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
wgcp said:

Bille

It's a never-ending learning process. Took me about 10 years before I thought I played a decent game. Have much improved in the last 5. Shot-making sucks, move pretty good. 64 years old. Love the game.!

onepocketchump

Verified Member
wgcp said:

Bille

I'd say for me after I started taking it seriously it was a good four years before I though I was ok. Now I still think I am not really great but I can hold my own to some degree and am not totally helpless. I think that results vary though. If you are in a good one pocket environment then you could expect to see rapid improvement. If you're on your own more or less then it's much harder to learn and stay motivated.

I do one pocket problems on my table for fun. I will take certain situations and play them with all possible outcomes to determine what they best moves are in order of success percentages. Doing this keeps me motivated to continue sharpening the saw so to speak because there is not any one pocket where I live.

I think that you can use things like running balls to measure your progress on being aggressive. But at the end of the day the only way to really know if you're good is to snap off good players or outrun the nuts against weaker ones. I have done both so I think I am an ok one pocket player.

But honestly, it's taken me about 8 years to figure out that 12:8 is not a good spot against someone who really can play.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
onepocketchump said:
I'd say for me after I started taking it seriously it was a good four years before I though I was ok. Now I still think I am not really great but I can hold my own to some degree and am not totally helpless. I think that results vary though. If you are in a good one pocket environment then you could expect to see rapid improvement. If you're on your own more or less then it's much harder to learn and stay motivated.

I do one pocket problems on my table for fun. I will take certain situations and play them with all possible outcomes to determine what they best moves are in order of success percentages. Doing this keeps me motivated to continue sharpening the saw so to speak because there is not any one pocket where I live.

I think that you can use things like running balls to measure your progress on being aggressive. But at the end of the day the only way to really know if you're good is to snap off good players or outrun the nuts against weaker ones. I have done both so I think I am an ok one pocket player.

But honestly, it's taken me about 8 years to figure out that 12:8 is not a good spot against someone who really can play.

Dont worry how good someone else playes or who is the best. Foucus on learning and at the end off the day refecy back on what you learned.

And if nothing comes up and you cant see a picture off what you learned..

I will give you a few tips. We will put you through one pocket. Colledge.

Wright sow everything you learn each day. Wright sown what you hacve to learn.

Draw pictures off the layouts that you want to lear. Wright down or show pictues off the new moves you learned and what moves you need too learn. I dont no what levele you are at.

But keep making nots. even when you are watching weak and great player. The weak players you will learn what not too do. And the good players you will learn what too do

And one off the best things I can tell you is too copy and do what the great players do.

Tell you learn how to do it too. BUt copying a great or a winning player is very helpfull.

And always when you shoot a shot ask yourself why you are shooting that shot. And what are you trying too accomplish by shooting that shot.

Lisyen to what good players are saying wright it down or record it.

And please ask a lot off qouistions . And if you cant get a good answer get another opinion.

Keep wrighting every thing down. And make a list every day before you play what you have too learn and practice.

Sont clown around take your lesson and practices serious.

Dont get discouraged or give up. That just telles you you need to practice more tell you learn it. If something is giving you trouble or is hard too do.

Ask a player what you should do. Make notes every day. And if you learn soething every day pretty soon you will no a lot.

And dont worry about beating this guy or that guy. Learn the game first. And if you have the ability you will become a very good player.

IT takes hard work and practice. And be patient with yourself dont beat yourself up. Pool learning should be fun and qiality time.

Keep thinking and learning. And have a goal how great you want too be and strive for that goal.

Its your life your time and its up too you to br the greatest you can be.

Keeping notes are good because if you forgot something you can look it uo. Organize your nots under differeny catagories.

Like position Moves Sratagie Banks combinations Breacking the balls. Whatever you want too put in thier that you want give it a name and a catagory.

The more you learn the better you will play. Good Luck.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
thanks

thanks

Artie,

I have not written anything down... but perhaps that is the best idea I have heard in a while...

Most of what I have learned has been by reading and setting up shots from Eddie Robbins books in one pocket and even though you admit to beating players without knowing how to bank, I have spent most of my time here learning bank shots...

Freddy the Beards books and DVD's helped tremendously... after practice... now I can at least see bank shots that go to my pocket, with the ability to move the cue to my opponents disadvantage...

Cowboy Dennis sent me more DVD's than I could ever repay him for, and I watch at least one match a day... I watch them over and over without the sound trying to pick the shot the pro's would shoot... I am not 100% on this, yet it seems to me now after a year, they don't always shoot the correct shot...

I usually give up 12-4 over here playing one-pocket... and can usually win a race to 5... run 3 and move to a safety...

I still think the ghost would have to give me 10-6:eek: and the breaks:D though...

Look forward to meeting you in vegas in May...

Bille

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wgcp said:
Artie,

I have not written anything down... but perhaps that is the best idea I have heard in a while...

Most of what I have learned has been by reading and setting up shots from Eddie Robbins books in one pocket and even though you admit to beating players without knowing how to bank, I have spent most of my time here learning bank shots...

Freddy the Beards books and DVD's helped tremendously... after practice... now I can at least see bank shots that go to my pocket, with the ability to move the cue to my opponents disadvantage...

Cowboy Dennis sent me more DVD's than I could ever repay him for, and I watch at least one match a day... I watch them over and over without the sound trying to pick the shot the pro's would shoot... I am not 100% on this, yet it seems to me now after a year, they don't always shoot the correct shot...

I usually give up 12-4 over here playing one-pocket... and can usually win a race to 5... run 3 and move to a safety...

I still think the ghost would have to give me 10-6:eek: and the breaks:D though...

Bille

THat was very nice off Dennies to give you or let you look at the DVD most people and playerswould not do that. Eddies books are good. Fredys books a re good If you learn something out off any book its good.

To real learn you have too go through it youself nobody can do it for you. And if you learn whats on the DVDS that will help you too. If you are a mediocer or about avarage.

You need too play with someone just you and them in a pool room away from all the people and as you shoot every shot you shoot. Have the person explain too you what is the correct shot.

And why the shot you are shootung is not the correct shot. He needs too explain every shot. Tell you learn what too do like he does. Then find a more advanced player and learn all his stuff.

And you keep going to a higher levele tell you reach the top. Even when you are watching ask a player siyying next too you what he would shoot. And make sure he tells you why. If cant tell you Why go to another player.

Because if the player knowes what he is doing he can tell you why?

And dont worry about gambling and playing people you want too beat.This is a learning time. THe playing will come soon enough wants you learn. But its very important that you no what you are doing.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wgcp said:

Bille
Bille,

It's when you are constantly learning new things that it seems like the more you learn the less you know:) .

I would say that it probably took me 9-10 years before I knew that I knew how to play it and then there is still more learning at every opportunity. You can learn certain shots from watching or playing better players.

For me, I had to bet something to make it all mean something, otherwise anybody could do it.

Dennis

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Artie,

Artie,

I plan on doing just what you said...

I was really lucky, when I came home from the last deployment, and got to play Mike Surber for about 6 months... He did exactly what you said about shots... The problem was I don't think I knew enough then to move what he was showing me into my game...

As far as betting on the game, it is difficult, outside this forum to get people to explain their shots when gambling, or not...

I do know that flyers, don't work if you want to win... most of the time I lay in wait, move the cue to the worst position for my opponent and wait for a 70% or better shot... trying to move balls towards my pocket for threats, blocking his banking lanes, or doubleing them up on straight in shots...

I believe this is a sound strategy at the game... it might not be mistake free... but it does give me the best chance to win... it doesn't even come close to scott frost's power one pocket (I have this dvd), its more of a duck, duck, duck, move proposition... frustrating my opponent into a mistake...
SJD does this exact thing when he played cliff joyner...

Bille :)

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
After watching a million videos of the game, and beating up on some people who had no clue, I thought I was decent.

Went to Sacramento and watched Chohan beat someone in a race to 3 in like nine minutes and went "Holy sh1t...I would get murdered". Watching someone run eight and out on four inch pockets a couple times in a row, as well as squeezing the cueball into nooks and crannies on safeties, definitely is an eye opener.

Read similar things on a golf site. People brag they can drive the ball 300 yards and then they play with a true long driver who flies it 40 yards past their ball on the fly.

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
For me, I had to bet something to make it all mean something, otherwise anybody could do it.

Dennis

Betting on your one-pocket game will definitely kick in the "fight or flight syndrome"

I never really thought too much of my game until I started playing less and less and less until now I never play at all, and now I think I used to be a great player...never missed a ball :rolleyes:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I have been playing pool for about 7 years now, started playing one pocket as soon as I got into a poolroom, I only had a year in the bars playing 8 ball. I fell in love with the game instantly and did not really get into 9 ball or 14.1 although I was always fond of 8 ball and the strategy of that game especially on a bar table or playing last pocket.

I think I had a natural ability to understand the game of one pocket but falling in love and getting into this game first before really playing shot making games like 9 ball and 14.1 probably hurt me in some respects when it comes to ball pocketing which I am working on now. I think its better to get into 9 ball and 14.1 before one pocket obviously and its rare that people take to one pocket before the other games. :cool:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wgcp said:
Artie,

Bille

Good to hear you are planning on Vegas Bille...Should be a very well attended affair, and look forward to meeting you...I will start working on Dennis now, to try and get him out here...:rolleyes:

Will you be at Marana at that point in time ? ...Vegas is an easy 1/2 day drive from Phx or Tucson.

Last edited:

dmyroncox

Verified Member
From
louisville kentucky
good?

good?

been playing for 15 or more years, don't really remember what year i started, i do remember the people and the places but not the time
played good and bad players, and i played good and bad. Still do

it seems to be a focus thing for me, if i want to play i can play well, if not well-----

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wgcp said:
I plan on doing just what you said...

I was really lucky, when I came home from the last deployment, and got to play Mike Surber for about 6 months... He did exactly what you said about shots... The problem was I don't think I knew enough then to move what he was showing me into my game...

As far as betting on the game, it is difficult, outside this forum to get people to explain their shots when gambling, or not...

I do know that flyers, don't work if you want to win... most of the time I lay in wait, move the cue to the worst position for my opponent and wait for a 70% or better shot... trying to move balls towards my pocket for threats, blocking his banking lanes, or doubleing them up on straight in shots...

I believe this is a sound strategy at the game... it might not be mistake free... but it does give me the best chance to win... it doesn't even come close to scott frost's power one pocket (I have this dvd), its more of a duck, duck, duck, move proposition... frustrating my opponent into a mistake...
SJD does this exact thing when he played cliff joyner...

Bille :)

I dont no you but I her what you are saying. When I started playing pool I played Nineball and Straight pool And straight pool was a very big game. But the money was a little short.

I remember Willie Mosconie playing Mike Stickoff a exabition and Willie thought so much off his game he wanted to take him on the road with him . And reay teach him the game and make him a Champion and a exabition player.

Willie Mosconie was under contract with Brunswick. at the time. But Will was so imprest with Mike Stickpoff he wanted too take him under hus wing and teach him the game.

And great player see the ability and potentail in a player wright away. Just like Willie Hoppie and Harold Worst.

Mike Stickoff declined the offer. And he stayed in Chicago and played pool in a avarage pool room. He played great straight pool nine ball and 3 coushion billiards.

And he played at the cue stick pool roome. It was one off the 3 pool roomes thes guy Eddie opened up 3 pool tooms around the samr time.

THe Cue Stick Marys Golden Cue and one more I cant remember the name. The were all set up the same way. Billiard Parlores . Milwakiee Lou played straightpool back then I sweet old man everone liket him. He would play straight pool for 20 dollaers.

I think he played at 20 century Bowling Allie and Billiard parlor. Thier are pool Rooms and thier are billiard parlors 20 century was a billiard parlor.

The real pool rooms were Bensinger Sherden and Willson Pioner and Howard and Paulina was like inbetween a billiard parlor and a pool room.

But Mike Stickoff had the chance off a life time. And he refused the offer for whatever reason he did I dont no.

But I thought I would bring out this story because it was never told.

And Mike stickoff was great and he had a chance too be the greatest straight pool player after Willie Mosconie. I guess he didnt want too be the best in the world. And just enjoyed and loved the game for what it is.

But that was a great honor being asket by the greatest syraight pool player in the world. Too come and join him too becomeing one off the greatest players. Some people dont like Glory and Fame and they take a different direction.

But Mike Stickoff could have been the greatest straight pool player in the world from 1980 yoo 2000 but we will never no. But this story has not been told. And Mike Stickoff was a ver quite man. And stayed away from all the pool players and publicity.

He was a loneer and liket even playing in a quite pool room. But I wondered what Willie must have thought when Mike didnt go for his offer?

But If you want too be a real good one pocket player. Make up your mind what game you want to learn and play. Make a deccision ans stick with it.

And dont jump around from one game too a nother. But all your energy and time on the game you want to learn. Stay Foucust on the game you want to realy play. Once you learn the game you eant too learn.

Then go on too another game. And it will be easier because if you learned the one game thourowley you have learned how to think and what too do too learn these other games.

The best way too learn is too be in a private room with a player that knowes what he is doing . And the totale foucus in that room should be for you too learn the game.

THe books and DVDS will help you . But you realy have too go through the learning stage.

If I had Buddy Hall in a private room for 2 or 3 moths learning one pocket. I no Buddy Hall would have been the greatest one pocket player ever in the whole world.

And This is not easy for me too say ot admite but Buddy Hall would have been better then me. And I would not have been able to beat him.

Because thier is noyhing in the game that I could have done were I would have won. Because he would have known what I no and he had better ability then me .

And Buddy Hall had thr correcy temprament for the game. HE had everything a champion neede. Including Desire. Witch I but him all the way on top. Johhny Archer is anoyher one off those players. But Buddy hall had the wright kind off mind for pool.

Its hard for people too see unless you no what to look for. And everything About Buddy HAll Showes a Champion and a winner. And he also has the best pool attitude in any player I have seen.

And buddy Hall would have been the greatest sll around pool player in life. And dont think Eferine could have beat him becsuse it would no have happened. Eferine would have still won some off the nineball matches and even some bank pool matches.

But the bottom line would have been Buddy Hall would have been number one in one pocket. And it would have helpt him in all the other games.

Even in Eight ball. And nine ball. It would not have improved his ability because we only have so much ability. BUt his thinking levele would have gone way up higher.

And I say this because nobody thinks like I do. And Buddy would have been the greatest one pocket player in life..

But with out all his ability and talent and desire and his determination this could not hr done. All BUddy needed was the thinking part off the games.

Dont get me wrong Buddy is very smart and he is one off the smardest when it comes too pool And he knowes howe too play all games because . He learned them. He is one off the smardest pool player in life.

But my thinking would have opened up a whole new area and picture too him. And he would have understood what I was telling him. And nobody could have won against that kind off playing and thinking.

Buddy Hall Would have been in a class all by himself. And I think If you ask Buddy Hall that he will agree. And his game would have changed completly. And the shots he would have shot. If he comes too the tournement.

I will bring him too my house and show him some off the things I am saying. And when he gets back home ask him what he thinks about what I showed him and what I am saying is the truth.

Her is from the player himself not me. And he will be amazed at what I will tell him just in a few days.

And I want people too ask him if he would have known and learned all off what I will show him and teach him. Would he have been the best player in the world.

And would he dought or qouistion anything I am telling him and showeing him about the game.

And you see I say all this ahead off time not after its over. And if Buddys health is good enough. And he wants too take the time too see it for himself.

Thier will be no DVDS or recordings this is not a movie or a show. This is between Buddy and me.

And for him too say what I am saying and teaching works and isv the truth. And would he have been the best player in the world if he would have known what I will tell him and teach him.

Would he have been the best one pocket player in the world if he would have known what I will show hum in his prime.

And you can also ask him has he ever run into any one that new one opocket better and correctly then me.

And if he has any dought about what I am saying is not the truth and does not work.

I want this to come out so all these none belivers will see the truth. And why none off those players could have beaten me playing 5 games ahead. I hope it happines and all the dought and nonbelivers see the truth about the real game off one pocket.

And some one that knowes Buddy can ask him if he will do it?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
sjd ,
how long had
you been playing the first time you played ronnie??

I had a little the best of it playing 9 ball or Golf, with RA when he first came to California...I was about 27-28, and he was about 25.

He actually got me started playing one pocket, as I had not played hardly any at that time. I soon got hooked on the game, and my wanting to beat him, was my main motivator...We went through all the 10/7, 9/7 stuff, but it was quite a while before I became competetive, getting only a ball from him.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I dont no you but I her what you are saying. When I started playing pool I played Nineball and Straight pool And straight pool was a very big game. But the money was a little short.

I remember Willie Mosconie playing Mike Stickoff a exabition and Willie thought so much off his game he wanted to take him on the road with him . And reay teach him the game and make him a Champion and a exabition player.

Willie Mosconie was under contract with Brunswick. at the time. But Will was so imprest with Mike Stickpoff he wanted too take him under hus wing and teach him the game.

And great player see the ability and potentail in a player wright away. Just like Willie Hoppie and Harold Worst.

Mike Stickoff declined the offer. And he stayed in Chicago and played pool in a avarage pool room. He played great straight pool nine ball and 3 coushion billiards.

And he played at the cue stick pool roome. It was one off the 3 pool roomes thes guy Eddie opened up 3 pool tooms around the samr time.

THe Cue Stick Marys Golden Cue and one more I cant remember the name. The were all set up the same way. Billiard Parlores . Milwakiee Lou played straightpool back then I sweet old man everone liket him. He would play straight pool for 20 dollaers.

I think he played at 20 century Bowling Allie and Billiard parlor. Thier are pool Rooms and thier are billiard parlors 20 century was a billiard parlor.

The real pool rooms were Bensinger Sherden and Willson Pioner and Howard and Paulina was like inbetween a billiard parlor and a pool room.

But Mike Stickoff had the chance off a life time. And he refused the offer for whatever reason he did I dont no.

But I thought I would bring out this story because it was never told.

And Mike stickoff was great and he had a chance too be the greatest straight pool player after Willie Mosconie. I guess he didnt want too be the best in the world. And just enjoyed and loved the game for what it is.

But that was a great honor being asket by the greatest syraight pool player in the world. Too come and join him too becomeing one off the greatest players. Some people dont like Glory and Fame and they take a different direction.

But Mike Stickoff could have been the greatest straight pool player in the world from 1980 yoo 2000 but we will never no. But this story has not been told. And Mike Stickoff was a ver quite man. And stayed away from all the pool players and publicity.

He was a loneer and liket even playing in a quite pool room. But I wondered what Willie must have thought when Mike didnt go for his offer?

But If you want too be a real good one pocket player. Make up your mind what game you want to learn and play. Make a deccision ans stick with it.

And dont jump around from one game too a nother. But all your energy and time on the game you want to learn. Stay Foucust on the game you want to realy play. Once you learn the game you eant too learn.

Then go on too another game. And it will be easier because if you learned the one game thourowley you have learned how to think and what too do too learn these other games.

The best way too learn is too be in a private room with a player that knowes what he is doing . And the totale foucus in that room should be for you too learn the game.

THe books and DVDS will help you . But you realy have too go through the learning stage.

If I had Buddy Hall in a private room for 2 or 3 moths learning one pocket. I no Buddy Hall would have been the greatest one pocket player ever in the whole world.

And This is not easy for me too say ot admite but Buddy Hall would have been better then me. And I would not have been able to beat him.

Because thier is noyhing in the game that I could have done were I would have won. Because he would have known what I no and he had better ability then me .

And Buddy Hall had thr correcy temprament for the game. HE had everything a champion neede. Including Desire. Witch I but him all the way on top. Johhny Archer is anoyher one off those players. But Buddy hall had the wright kind off mind for pool.

Its hard for people too see unless you no what to look for. And everything About Buddy HAll Showes a Champion and a winner. And he also has the best pool attitude in any player I have seen.

And buddy Hall would have been the greatest sll around pool player in life. And dont think Eferine could have beat him becsuse it would no have happened. Eferine would have still won some off the nineball matches and even some bank pool matches.

But the bottom line would have been Buddy Hall would have been number one in one pocket. And it would have helpt him in all the other games.

Even in Eight ball. And nine ball. It would not have improved his ability because we only have so much ability. BUt his thinking levele would have gone way up higher.

And I say this because nobody thinks like I do. And Buddy would have been the greatest one pocket player in life..

But with out all his ability and talent and desire and his determination this could not hr done. All BUddy needed was the thinking part off the games.

Dont get me wrong Buddy is very smart and he is one off the smardest when it comes too pool And he knowes howe too play all games because . He learned them. He is one off the smardest pool player in life.

But my thinking would have opened up a whole new area and picture too him. And he would have understood what I was telling him. And nobody could have won against that kind off playing and thinking.

Buddy Hall Would have been in a class all by himself. And I think If you ask Buddy Hall that he will agree. And his game would have changed completly. And the shots he would have shot. If he comes too the tournement.

I will bring him too my house and show him some off the things I am saying. And when he gets back home ask him what he thinks about what I showed him and what I am saying is the truth.

Her is from the player himself not me. And he will be amazed at what I will tell him just in a few days.

And I want people too ask him if he would have known and learned all off what I will show him and teach him. Would he have been the best player in the world.

And would he dought or qouistion anything I am telling him and showeing him about the game.

And you see I say all this ahead off time not after its over. And if Buddys health is good enough. And he wants too take the time too see it for himself.

Thier will be no DVDS or recordings this is not a movie or a show. This is between Buddy and me.

And for him too say what I am saying and teaching works and isv the truth. And would he have been the best player in the world if he would have known what I will tell him and teach him.

Would he have been the best one pocket player in the world if he would have known what I will show hum in his prime.

And you can also ask him has he ever run into any one that new one opocket better and correctly then me.

And if he has any dought about what I am saying is not the truth and does not work.

I want this to come out so all these none belivers will see the truth. And why none off those players could have beaten me playing 5 games ahead. I hope it happines and all the dought and nonbelivers see the truth about the real game off one pocket.

And some one that knowes Buddy can ask him if he will do it?

I would be interested in seeing you take a player like Shane or maybe a young guy like John Morra who is an up and comer but not really a one pocket player that I know of. The reason why I suggest someone other then Shane is because Shane won the one pocket already but then again if he did it a second time it might be very convincing of his prowess.

Another young guy who has some great ability and shotmaking is Mitch Ellerman of Arizona who won the Jay Swanson tournament and just took 2nd this month in that same tournament. It seems you would like to take and pass your one pocket knowledge onto someone with talent and ability, a protege so to speak. This is what I have gathered from your story unless I am mistaken or just stupid, probably the latter, haha.