for the rules guys

Viffer

Verified Member
i can promise you john thinks hes right here, we were playing for close to 2k a game he jumped an object ball of the table and he wated to owe a ball , i wouldnt let hiim. cause dippy makes the rules when he plays and they the same for both.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Viffer said:
i can promise you john thinks hes right here, we were playing for close to 2k a game he jumped an object ball of the table and he wated to owe a ball , i wouldnt let hiim. cause dippy makes the rules when he plays and they the same for both.[/QUOTE

Dippy has good intentions because he loves too play . And he doesnt want too run out off people too play. Because then all his fun will be over.

He diddnt get his name Dippy because he made rules. People usualy get names because they corralate with them and something about them or something they do gets them thier mame.

Howe did Dippy get his name Dippy. I got my name the Speller because I spell so good. How did Dippy get his name. Or did he win it in a poker game?

John Brumback

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
RAther then explaining the hole thing . I guess you dont like hering the explnations,

But I made another pose explaining that. If its not explained then how to you get the correct rule without explaining it.

Or should it be plain and simple and just say thays the rule and thats it. Or should it be explained.

And uf its not explained howe are people going too see what the rule should be. Just making a rule with out explaining it is use less.

The important answer is why thats the rule and that has too be explained Why.

So For people who dont want too her the Why's and explnations. I will just give a simple answer to the rule.

Its Dumb Its Stupiet And only fools would make that rule that dont no anything about gambling or pool. The onl Fowle needs too be in forced is a cue ball foul.

Not object balls jumping the table weather ist on object ball or 5 . You spot them all up like little soldiers.

And I have played one pocket a lot. I might have played more one pocket games then anyone.

And I no for a fact that I have studied the game and the rules more then anyone.

Because thats part off how I hustled looking for angles and ways to beat something whatever the game might be.

And I have done this my whole life. I no what good rules are I no what they should be. I no why they were changed and why they even changed good rules that did not need changing.

A lot off rules were made too speed up the game. Or give aweeker player a better chance to win. A lot off rules were changed because people didnt no what they were doing.

And some rules got changed because off TV and how much time they had to play and finish the match.
So you see the rules were changed not because the old rules were no good. They were changed to satisfie the promotorsand TV.

And people didnt care and let it happen and went along with whatecer was done with the rules. And that is were we are today.

The rules were not made to make better rules. They were made for the convence and pourpose off the tournaments and TV and the sponserers.

So the rules got worse not better. And I am not a big fan off nine ball. Because its a very simple game too play. BUt When they made the rule no push out.

And you get cue ball in hand on a fowl is the dumbest rule in pool. Why call it nine ball. Call it Shooting nine ball craps. And were ever the cue ball and object ball goes nobody knowes.

I no Buddy Hall made a big issue out off being able to push out if you are hocket witch I agree 100%. Why should you have too loose the whole game because off a bad role or shot.

And too give your opponernt cue ball in hand is a complete joke. Your not giving him cueball in hand. You are gining hinm the whole game. And Further more it showes how dumb the rule is.

When someone breackes the balls and makesa ball or doesnt make a ball. Why is he allowed too role out then when he is hocket. And not on other shots were he is hooket.

ITs completly buzerk. And its doesnt take any more time too rolr out. Then to figure out how to hit the ball at some redicoulous angle.

Or were tou atr lockt up completly. And have too give up the whole match,. Because you are hocket or snookered were its imposable to hit the ball. Or sell out completly.

Thats not pool and its completly wrong. You loose the game because you cant role out. And you cant hit the ball. And the rule forces you to sell out the game and loos the whole match because off a dumb rule.

Every game you should be alowed to play safe and give yourself a chance too win.

The rules are horrable. And the need too change to make pool a better game. And dont let the rule decide who wins the game. Let the players decide who wins or looses by thier playing. Not by a rule.

Make good rules and fair rules for everyone. Dont change the beauthy off the game and the compatition by rules that are no good and take away the skill off the game.

The players need too make the rules and agree on them not some one looking to make money off the game or Tv. And make rules for Tv or rules too take away from the more skilled player. They dont do that inthe other games and sporte Ehy pool.

Well then...Ok Artie.I read what you wrote in the other post about the rules and which ones were better and so on. And yes I do like hearing about the whys and the explainations of why some rules are better and some are not.

I agree with you 10000% about the stupid ball In hand with 9 ball.They completely ruined that game.I never did like It that much anyway,but It's just like you said..a complete crap shoot now.Might as well just flip coins.
But at least with 2 shot pushout you had a little bit of control,you didn't have to just shoot straight up In the air. Just like at the DCC I was playing Johnny Archer and he dogged 2 balls In a race to 7 and left me no shot at all,both times.I couldn't even play safe.Man I'm so glad I don't have to try to make a living off of that game!! 9 ball Is at LEAST 50% luck If not more. Did I tell ya what a stupid game 9ball Is.A complete Idiot could learn that game In a year or two.Well enough about 9ball.

About the rules.I again agree with you about how they should vote between
a few great players..Hall,Varner,Hopkins,people like that.That's a great Idea Artie.You seem to have alot of good Ideas about that.

About the object ball jumping off the table...Just stop and think about that for a minute...Is somebody going to explain to me why that should NOT be a foul?? I think It should be easy for them to explain why It should not be a foul
than for me to explain why It should. Oh I'm sorry I just knocked that ball off of your table and I'm sorry that It went through your window and clear across the street,and before It went through the window It bounced off that kids head.LOL They have got to be kidding!!

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Legal shot rule

Legal shot rule

The definition of a legal shot has always been the same for as long as I can remember;

The cue must contact an object ball and then a rail and remain on the playing surface.

This has been accepted rule for 50 years that I know of. Written or otherwise.

The only exception if for the Gamblers making up their own rules.

I don't have an issue with that at all.

Tournament rules have been established for 60+ years. Changes being made every so often with new issues being brought up to the rules officials.

Currently the only USA rules member for the World Standardized Rule is Bob Jewett, Bob can be reached him at jewett@sfbilliards.com

The One Pocket.ORG rules were a coordinated effort by Steve Booth and a lot of the forum members in 2005-2006 if I recall correctly.

If you really want to ask a rules question; how about why is it a foul if you don't hit a rail?

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
I'm not all that young,I'm 47 and I'v been around quite a bit.

wow! I'm actually older then someone here. Because I'm 2 years older then you, can I call you a young whipper snapper?:D

I know in onepocket, I have seen instances of where someone intentionally shot a object ball off the table, knowing it would spot up and he wouldn't owe one. I can't think of a particular situation, but the person was usually in some kind of trouble and was trying to move several balls out of his opponent's pocket.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Come on guys, it's a no-brainer.

We are playing on a pooltable. If you can't keep the balls on that table, you are doing something wrong.

I would call foul all day long, and if Scooter pulled that move on me I would tell him to continue shooting but with an other opponent

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Well then...Ok Artie.I read what you wrote in the other post about the rules and which ones were better and so on. And yes I do like hearing about the whys and the explainations of why some rules are better and some are not.

I agree with you 10000% about the stupid ball In hand with 9 ball.They completely ruined that game.I never did like It that much anyway,but It's just like you said..a complete crap shoot now.Might as well just flip coins.
But at least with 2 shot pushout you had a little bit of control,you didn't have to just shoot straight up In the air. Just like at the DCC I was playing Johnny Archer and he dogged 2 balls In a race to 7 and left me no shot at all,both times.I couldn't even play safe.Man I'm so glad I don't have to try to make a living off of that game!! 9 ball Is at LEAST 50% luck If not more. Did I tell ya what a stupid game 9ball Is.A complete Idiot could learn that game In a year or two.Well enough about 9ball.

About the rules.I again agree with you about how they should vote between
a few great players..Hall,Varner,Hopkins,people like that.That's a great Idea Artie.You seem to have alot of good Ideas about that.

About the object ball jumping off the table...Just stop and think about that for a minute...Is somebody going to explain to me why that should NOT be a foul?? I think It should be easy for them to explain why It should not be a foul
than for me to explain why It should. Oh I'm sorry I just knocked that ball off of your table and I'm sorry that It went through your window and clear across the street,and before It went through the window It bounced off that kids head.LOL They have got to be kidding!!

Yes I will explain it. The object ball is not the cue ball and thier are 15 object balls. Correct. It should only be when you foul the cue ball or jump the table.

Because in some games and rules you touch a object ball its not a fowl. If you touch the cue ball its a foul.

THe cue ball is the controller off the game. Any pool game. And any cue ball touching or contacting another ball is a fowl. And you can only shoot with the cue ball. You cannot shoot a object ball. And if you shoot the object all by mistake instead off the cue ball its a foul.

BUt if you make a legale shot with the cue ball thier is no foul and should not be a foul. And its pretty hard too shoot a object ball off the table. Is that correct.

And why would you want too shoot the object ball off the table. Could you give me a example. Because it is hard for me too vizulize why some one would jump a ball off the table.

Could you give me a example. Then we can go from thier. Working together to make it better should be the goal.

If someone jumps the table and makes your game ball or both balls jump the table the cue ball and object ball. Its only one foul correct. It only cost you one ball. Were tecknical its a double foul.

One for the object ball jumping the table and two the cue ball jumping the table. But I like the rule only fowle is when the cue ball jumps the table. Not the object ball. But either way its nothing thats real bad.

That will efect the whole game. But a rule that can go either way.Take a vote 31 top players and let them decide what rule too play by. We live in a democracy.

But I have never played were a object ball jumps the table is a foul. And I dont no were someone would want too do it intentuanal and can it be done?

THe cue ball can jumpoff the table too and brack a window. Tobby did it playing me and the cue ball flew off the table 50 miles an houer. And the cue ball went about 30 feet in the air and almost brock his front window.

But were good friends and it was all in a heat off the momonte in a game we werev playing.

But if the rule can go either way then the rule is not a bad rule. And it can be worket out.

What rule dont you like in bank pool. Or are you ok with all the bank pool rules?

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
wow! I'm actually older then someone here. Because I'm 2 years older then you, can I call you a young whipper snapper?:D

I know in onepocket, I have seen instances of where someone intentionally shot a object ball off the table, knowing it would spot up and he wouldn't owe one. I can't think of a particular situation, but the person was usually in some kind of trouble and was trying to move several balls out of his opponent's pocket.

Hello Red.Yes you can call me whatever you want.Dag gone no wonder you play so good! You have been around awhile!! lol Yes there is a few times when jumping the ball off the table can get you out of a death trap or buy you some time. There's one shot when your opp has his last ball close to his hole and the only shot Is to knock the ball and the cball off of the table.That's playing 1 hole not bank.lol That ole shot where they were going to hit their ball hard and make the ball that's going to get in the way jump the table so it doesn't kiss..that aint going to fly now a days. that's almost funny.And I remember people playing that shot when I was a kid. Man I'v been busy today!! I like It!! John B.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Hello Red.Yes you can call me whatever you want.Dag gone no wonder you play so good! You have been around awhile!! lol Yes there is a few times when jumping the ball off the table can get you out of a death trap or buy you some time. There's one shot when your opp has his last ball close to his hole and the only shot Is to knock the ball and the cball off of the table.That's playing 1 hole not bank.lol That ole shot where they were going to hit their ball hard and make the ball that's going to get in the way jump the table so it doesn't kiss..that aint going to fly now a days. that's almost funny.And I remember people playing that shot when I was a kid. Man I'v been busy today!! I like It!! John B.

The shot you are talking about both balls would jump the table the object ball and cue ball. We no thats a foul.

And to just make the object ball jump the table. And controll the cue ball. I would like too see the shot layed out on the pool table.

Because I dont see it. Im missing something. Could you show the shot CailRed. Thank you.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:

Thank you
You've seen more than Artie.:p
Rod.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
When I lived in NY and played either 14.1 or one pocket we played foul on all balls, in Arizona if you move 2 or more balls it is a foul. I actually like foul on all balls, no bs moving a ball and asking your opponent if you can move it back, that changes the game, we all know how that just an 1/8 of an inch or less can change things greatly. It makes the game more difficult knowing when your jacked up over a ball or the stack and you touch it at all that you will lose your turn and owe a ball, why make it easier knowing if you touch that ball its okay and you can just ask to move it back. :cool:

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Jumping balls off the table, why it is against the rules.

#1 it will damage the ball(s)
#2 It is dangerous to any players around the table.
#3 In a pool hall, it is not your equipment you are about to damage.

If the ball you just jumped off the table gets a pit or ding in it from hitting something hard on the floor or surrounding area, are you going to the counter person and ask for a replacement?

Enough equipment is damaged accidentally without it being acceptable for being done on purpose.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Yes I will explain it. The object ball is not the cue ball and thier are 15 object balls. Correct. It should only be when you foul the cue ball or jump the table.

Because in some games and rules you touch a object ball its not a fowl. If you touch the cue ball its a foul.

THe cue ball is the controller off the game. Any pool game. And any cue ball touching or contacting another ball is a fowl. And you can only shoot with the cue ball. You cannot shoot a object ball. And if you shoot the object all by mistake instead off the cue ball its a foul.

BUt if you make a legale shot with the cue ball thier is no foul and should not be a foul. And its pretty hard too shoot a object ball off the table. Is that correct.

And why would you want too shoot the object ball off the table. Could you give me a example. Because it is hard for me too vizulize why some one would jump a ball off the table.

Could you give me a example. Then we can go from thier. Working together to make it better should be the goal.

If someone jumps the table and makes your game ball or both balls jump the table the cue ball and object ball. Its only one foul correct. It only cost you one ball. Were tecknical its a double foul.

One for the object ball jumping the table and two the cue ball jumping the table. But I like the rule only fowle is when the cue ball jumps the table. Not the object ball. But either way its nothing thats real bad.

That will efect the whole game. But a rule that can go either way.Take a vote 31 top players and let them decide what rule too play by. We live in a democracy.

But I have never played were a object ball jumps the table is a foul. And I dont no were someone would want too do it intentuanal and can it be done?

THe cue ball can jumpoff the table too and brack a window. Tobby did it playing me and the cue ball flew off the table 50 miles an houer. And the cue ball went about 30 feet in the air and almost brock his front window.

But were good friends and it was all in a heat off the momonte in a game we werev playing.

But if the rule can go either way then the rule is not a bad rule. And it can be worket out.

What rule dont you like in bank pool. Or are you ok with all the bank pool rules?

I can't think of any rules that need changing In banks or onepocket.I haven't heard any of the top players say that any rules need to be changed. I think they have em figured out now.I know I don't have any problems with any. Well I did just think of one and that's about having a ref watch every match to call fouls and stuff like that.But I understand that they can't afford or just can't get that many refs to do the reffing.That's the only problem I can think of.John B.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
When I lived in NY and played either 14.1 or one pocket we played foul on all balls, in Arizona if you move 2 or more balls it is a foul. I actually like foul on all balls, no bs moving a ball and asking your opponent if you can move it back, that changes the game, we all know how that just an 1/8 of an inch or less can change things greatly. It makes the game more difficult knowing when your jacked up over a ball or the stack and you touch it at all that you will lose your turn and owe a ball, why make it easier knowing if you touch that ball its okay and you can just ask to move it back. :cool:

I always play with the all-ball-foul.

I think it is only in America they still use cueball-foul only.

I was disgusted when playing Oscar D at DCC 2 years ago. He was up 6-5 and had three easy balls left. When shooting the 7 he hit the 9 with his hand and it moved 3-4 feet. All I could do was to decide to either move it back or let it be...

How can it not be a foul to move a ball? Like you said 1/8 inch can do a big difference

Edit: I was in no way disgusted over Oscar, we're friends. Only over the rule

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:

Hey Lenny.Yes you are right! It should be a foul If you touch any balls period.
Yeah,Oh I'm sorry I moved that ball..let me just put that back where I think It was. lol I saw that same thing happen In a tourny years ago,and the 2 guys playing hated each other.Well one guy was jacking up over a ball but the ball was not even close to being right behind the cue ball.just kinda of behind and to the side of It.Well the guy just barly touched It and the other guy jumps out of his chair and puts it right dead behind the cueball almost froze to It.I was sitting right there watching.It was one of the cheapest low life moves I have seen to date. Lucky for him he ended up losing the match.lol The winner of the match was Tony Fargo.

Viffer

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Hey Lenny.Yes you are right! It should be a foul If you touch any balls period.
Yeah,Oh I'm sorry I moved that ball..let me just put that back where I think It was. lol I saw that same thing happen In a tourny years ago,and the 2 guys playing hated each other.Well one guy was jacking up over a ball but the ball was not even close to being right behind the cue ball.just kinda of behind and to the side of It.Well the guy just barly touched It and the other guy jumps out of his chair and puts it right dead behind the cueball almost froze to It.I was sitting right there watching.It was one of the cheapest low life moves I have seen to date. Lucky for him he ended up losing the match.lol The winner of the match was Tony Fargo.
real east for you skinny guys to play al fouls what about us fast guys with big bellys!!!!!!

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
This is a bad analogy

This is a bad analogy

SactownTom said:
Jumping balls off the table, why it is against the rules.

#1 it will damage the ball(s)
#2 It is dangerous to any players around the table.
#3 In a pool hall, it is not your equipment you are about to damage.

If the ball you just jumped off the table gets a pit or ding in it from hitting something hard on the floor or surrounding area, are you going to the counter person and ask for a replacement?

Enough equipment is damaged accidentally without it being acceptable for being done on purpose.
First of all it is not against the rules, just a foul.
Second if we accepted your reasons for why then we should not be able to jump a cue ball off the table either. Right? Jumping a cue ball off the table is part of the 1p game.
And I certainly would ask for a replacement ball w/o hesitation.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Viffer said:
real east for you skinny guys to play al fouls what about us fast guys with big bellys!!!!!!

Don't worry Dip!! You get to MAKE ALL the rules. But I am going to buy you a
belt.I'm afraid your going to trip and hurt yourself. hahahahahaha
Man your fun to mess with!! Listen to this.....DIPPY RULES!!!!! How does that sound to ya?? Hey what was that deal you were talking about where you were going to ware that shirt while filming?? I think I missed something??
Thanks John B.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Yeh

Yeh

Viffer said:
What about us old guys, the older I get the more I shake. I don' t think shaking should be held against me if I touch another ball.

John Brumback

Verified Member
suki said:
First of all it is not against the rules, just a foul.
Second if we accepted your reasons for why then we should not be able to jump a cue ball off the table either. Right? Jumping a cue ball off the table is part of the 1p game.
And I certainly would ask for a replacement ball w/o hesitation.

Hello there.You know I thought about that too.about jumping the cball off of the table. Ya know somebody like Ronnie Allen or some smart player invented that shot. If you really really think about It that should not be allowed. It really Is a wonder that somebody hasn't been hurt or sued over that shot.
I have done It many times though.I had to clear about 50 people out of the way one time at the dcc playing Parica. I don't know If that's a good rule or a bad one?? John B.